orgoveg
Green Thumb

I think I defeated the SVB's

I had one pumpkin plant left which hadn't been affected by the vine borers. I had conceded defeat with the others and removed them. This plant had one single pumpkin and seemed healthy until I discovered that most of the vine borer evidence was on the undersides of the vine. Leaves were dying and the orange funk was popping out at every joint. I cut the main vine about 2-1/2 feet from the original roots, leaving two branch vines about 3-4 feet long. All of the remaining vines had SVB damage, but they still looked like they could survive.

I happen to have some leftover syringes from a previous medical condition in the family, but I think you can buy them at any pharmacy. Mine have pointed plastic tips. I mixed some Neem oil with the proper dilution and filled the syringe with it. I injected every joint with the funky SVB evidence and about every 3-4" in between. I pretty much saturated the vines with it. Then, I used the spray bottle that I had mixed it in and covered every bit of the outer surface of the vines.

The funky spots have dried up and the leaves are no longer wilting. Everything appears to be reasonably healthy and the pumpkin has increased in size.

Maybe I won or maybe they're re-grouping for a counter-attack. So far, so good.

I tried cutting into the vines to remove the grubs. I never successfully found a grub to remove. I also tried tulle netting in the beginning. That was unrealistic as pumpkin vines grow very fast. I tried looking for eggs under the leaves, but I never found an egg. This is my last effort before I swear off squash/pumpkins/melons altogether.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ahhhh brilliant!!! so the neem oil within the vine doesn't bother the plant at all? cuz that is cool! I have a syringe I could use. just need to find neem oil is all...

orgoveg
Green Thumb

I can only say that the oil in the vine didn't harm MY plant :wink: I know that too much Neem can block the leaves' ability to gather sunlight and breathe. I don't think that would happen inside the vine.

Most garden centers/nurseries have Neem. I don't know if you have Lowe's stores in Maine, but they carry it at my local store.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Yep! We have Lowe's here :) I wasn't sure if it was one of those things you have to order online or not, like Surround etc. TY!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations!

I have to do a little investigating, first, but I think I have just got hit by the SVB........off to get the neem! :lol:
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Just got the neem and I'm going to go to town with it later. My other plants are infested with SVB now too. BAH! so I have a horse needle syringe that I had from when one of the chickens was sick and I"ll be poking htat into the vines. I hope I get them bad boys!

I also hope I do it right too..

garden5
Super Green Thumb

sheeshshe wrote:Just got the neem and I'm going to go to town with it later. My other plants are infested with SVB now too. BAH! so I have a horse needle syringe that I had from when one of the chickens was sick and I"ll be poking htat into the vines. I hope I get them bad boys!

I also hope I do it right too..
Do be sure to let us know the results :wink:.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Update:

The SVBs eventually seemed to re-appear on other parts of my plant where they must have found the least amount of neem. It slowed them down for about a week and a half. I injected more neem and then piled soil over the vines, hoping they would grow more roots. It has been about 5 days since then and all is well. All of the remaining leaves are dark green and healthy since I did that.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

orgoveg wrote:Update:

The SVBs eventually seemed to re-appear on other parts of my plant where they must have found the least amount of neem. It slowed them down for about a week and a half. I injected more neem and then piled soil over the vines, hoping they would grow more roots. It has been about 5 days since then and all is well. All of the remaining leaves are dark green and healthy since I did that.
It looks like you've stumbled upon a very unique and effective SVB control method. I wonder, though, if injecting too much neem would upset the natural biological balance?

Someone more experienced than be in that department will have to weigh in.

Either way, good luck and hope you get a lot of squash.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”