I had one pumpkin plant left which hadn't been affected by the vine borers. I had conceded defeat with the others and removed them. This plant had one single pumpkin and seemed healthy until I discovered that most of the vine borer evidence was on the undersides of the vine. Leaves were dying and the orange funk was popping out at every joint. I cut the main vine about 2-1/2 feet from the original roots, leaving two branch vines about 3-4 feet long. All of the remaining vines had SVB damage, but they still looked like they could survive.
I happen to have some leftover syringes from a previous medical condition in the family, but I think you can buy them at any pharmacy. Mine have pointed plastic tips. I mixed some Neem oil with the proper dilution and filled the syringe with it. I injected every joint with the funky SVB evidence and about every 3-4" in between. I pretty much saturated the vines with it. Then, I used the spray bottle that I had mixed it in and covered every bit of the outer surface of the vines.
The funky spots have dried up and the leaves are no longer wilting. Everything appears to be reasonably healthy and the pumpkin has increased in size.
Maybe I won or maybe they're re-grouping for a counter-attack. So far, so good.
I tried cutting into the vines to remove the grubs. I never successfully found a grub to remove. I also tried tulle netting in the beginning. That was unrealistic as pumpkin vines grow very fast. I tried looking for eggs under the leaves, but I never found an egg. This is my last effort before I swear off squash/pumpkins/melons altogether.