garden5
Super Green Thumb

After reading what Rootsy said, I'm starting to think that the whole bee thing is just a "old-farmer's" tale. Something that was probably thought-up as an explanation for the low production and was just perpetuated over time.

raybird
Newly Registered

I wouldn't think bees could hurt anything by taking a little pollen.
This was the first year I tried to plant corn. We did 7 rows, each about 10 feet long (our plot is 20x20, so it was about a 4th of the garden). My 2 big problems were japanese beetles tearing up the leaves and the pollen tassels before there was pollen ready to fall off them, and deer eating the silks and top half of many of the ears. We've picked a couple dozen after trying to guess when they might be ready. We figured that without silks intact, they'd never really mature much more anyway. About half of what we picked was worth cooking and eating, although we had to cut some ears to remove what was chewed on.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Had some of mine tonight; sweet enough but a bit starchy. I think I needed more agua; perhaps the elevated bed isn't as optimal as ground. No borers, no diseases, a bit floppy but certainly edible. More water next year...

Hmmm... perhaps not an optimal crop for me and my friend Jeff is selling GREAT sweet corn at the farmers market. Perhaps melons there next year? Or pumpkins? (The squash are still going beserk...) Or more water?

Hmmm...

HG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A starchy taste means you should have picked it about three days ago.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:A starchy taste means you should have picked it about three days ago.
I believe what that's from is the sugars breaking down and converting into starches. I think that's why I've always hear that corn is best eaten fresh rather than buying it ahead of time an storing it.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks for the tip JAL; I was traveling on biz this week and picked as soon as I got home, but a few days difference, y'say? Couldn't be helped this time...

Better luck next year... :roll:

HG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I've always hear that corn is best eaten fresh rather than buying it ahead of time an storing it.
Yes, you put the water on to boil then go pick the corn. :)

All this talk about sweet corn has my mouth watering. Mine is still a few days off. Can't wait.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
I've always hear that corn is best eaten fresh rather than buying it ahead of time an storing it.
Yes, you put the water on to boil then go pick the corn. :)

All this talk about sweet corn has my mouth watering. Mine is still a few days off. Can't wait.
What's your method for knowing when your corn's at it's peak?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”