gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Holy Swiss Chard Batman!!!!!!!!!!

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC03963.jpg[/img]

Here are some Swiss Chard leaves from my front garden. I finally gave them a small but needed trimming. These thing are huge. I put the V8 bottle in there for a reference to scale. These were direct seeded in the flower garden in early spring. The plants are probably 3 foot tall or so.

Click on picture to enlarge but I suggest scooting back a bit first. :lol: :P

applestar
Mod

:lol: After I enlarged the photo, I realized they were reclining on the back of your sofa! :lol: THAT made me realize how HUGE they were, even better than the bottle. :wink: Enjoy.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yeah they are every bit as big as my torso I thought about having my wife take a pic of me holding them.

They are so big I'm not sure if they would be good for eating. Straight after taking the pic these and a whole bunch more headed for the compost pile. But never fear I have chard growing all over the place and what I pulled today was just the tip of the iceberg.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Those would still be good eating. That is what I like about chard, you can still pick some good leaves even after it flowers. Let a couple go for the seed. No use buying seed when you almost have some right there.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Those would still be good eating. That is what I like about chard, you can still pick some good leaves even after it flowers. Let a couple go for the seed. No use buying seed when you almost have some right there.
They haven't gone to seed that I know of. They are just big as all get out. Though I did get volunteers last year from chard. I'm hoping the same hold true this year.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

My Swiss Chard are dying. :cry:
They never amounted to anything, can't eat them, nothing to them, and now they are failing totally.
I know it is the drought, but I water them almost daily!
I honestly don't know what more to do, no bugs are eating them, they are just not growing, and sitting there, then dying.
I bet something in the ground? Nematodes?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Chard in bloom. This stuff is over 5 feet tall.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/chard_blooms.jpg[/img]

rootsy
Green Thumb

My Chard has been called "mutant" this year... Bout 3X the size of everyone elses around here...

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Okay, so share the secret. How do you get chard to grow?
I know it is a member of the beet family, and beets don't even try to grow for me, but it usually at least puts in an appearance, but I don't recall ever getting anything to eat from it.

Remember, I am a hobby gardener, just learning to grow more items!

But, even some hobby things like salad makings failed this year!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Grasshoppers are eating my chard faster than it can grow. It is only about 3" tall and the hoppers eat it back to ground level. I've planted chard three times and can't get any growth due to the hoppers.

Dono,

My wife would kill me if I put something like those chard leaves on the sofa without something underneath to protect the sofa from the sap from the leaves. I think I would have eaten those leaves for dinner. It makes me hungry just thinking about the salad they would have made.

Ted

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ozark Lady wrote:My Swiss Chard are dying. :cry:

I bet something in the ground? Nematodes?
Ozark Lady, I hope you don't have nematodes. I lived in an area many years ago that had nematodes in the soil and it was just about pointless to garden in the summer months. I'd put plants in the ground in spring and by the time summer heat came around, all the plants were pretty much done with little to no production. My experience with nematodes was evident in the root system. The roots were not nice and long and healthy looking but rather knotted with bulbous growths on them. I took them to a local nursery and was told it was nematodes. If I recall correctly they suggested a product called Vapam. I was told to remove the plants, turn the soil, spray the product, cover the soil with heavy black plastic to cook it for a couple weeks and repeat the process one more time. I was also advised to plant things like marigolds between my veg. plants to help with the problem. Seems nematodes don't like marigolds. About 1 year later I sold the house and moved to where I now am and so far, so good with no nematode problems.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="Ozark Lady"]Okay, so share the secret. How do you get chard to grow?

All I've ever done is put in the seed directly in the garden. I'll flatten the top of a row to about 24 inches wide, make 2 furrows the length of the row about about 6 inches in from the edges of the row and put in the seeds. Cover the seeds, gently pat down the soil and water. When the plants are about 3-4 inches tall, I'll thin them to give them the room they need and it's off to the races. I've had some great chard production for as long as I've chosen to grow it. I especially like it since it is more heat tolerant that spinach and has a similar taste and texture. It's a great alternative to spinach lasagna.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jal that stuff is going crazy mine is DEFINITELY NOT seeding.

Ted that couch is down stairs it is the man-cave couch. I do whatever I want with it. :lol:

OL the secret to growing chard is, now don't tell anyone this, put the seed in the ground and water it. :P It's really easy at least around here. the leaves off of these plants are in my front flower garden that I redid this year they are 4 times or more the size of the chard in my regular garden :?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Wish I had a "man cave". The wife tells me I can't have a man cave under the same roof as the house. The house is her domain. The yard and shop are my domain. I'm trying to figure out a way to have a man cave/garden. I guess I could put a television and recliner in the garden. My wife would insist on rearranging the furniture, even in the garden; at least weekly.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:Wish I had a "man cave". The wife tells me I can't have a man cave under the same roof as the house. The house is her domain. The yard and shop are my domain. I'm trying to figure out a way to have a man cave/garden. I guess I could put a television and recliner in the garden. My wife would insist on rearranging the furniture, even in the garden; at least weekly.

Ted
:lol: That's too funny! Your more than welcome over here anytime you want Ted. It' not fancy, hell it's an unfinished basement. But no one comes down here it's too scary for them.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Swiss Chard July 03:

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2644_phixr.jpg[/img]

Same Swiss Chard July 25th:

[img]https://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww281/Ozark_Lady/100_2760_phixr.jpg[/img]

It was watered yesterday, since it is about to storm I didn't water today, I was hurrying to get photo before the rain hits.. which isn't here even yet!
But, my Chard is dying, and I have fertilized it, and watered that whole garden almost daily! Not one leaf was harvested. Nothing more I can do. This bed failed last year except for the peppers and they were stunted. I am very suspicious of nematodes.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Ol I had to replant seeds several times here. They would come up and start to look good the next day or so they were gone. But I finally got some to grow. That and some of the seed took a long time to germinate. It's not too late to grow chard OL. Last year was my first time and I didn't plant until it was time for fall crops and it did wonderful. I even had volunteers from the seed. I always cut off my plants to the soil level and leave the roots in the ground for decomposition. They came back for a next go 'round.

Give it a try. They are normally very hardy.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

You should probably decorate with some fake spiders and spider webs. I've found it works well to keep people out of my personal spaces.

Ted

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="gixxerific"]Jal that stuff is going crazy mine is DEFINITELY NOT seeding.

Ted that couch is down stairs it is the man-cave couch. I do whatever I want with it. :lol:

gix, I'm with you on that!!! I own a 2 story house with a complete living area on the second floor----kitchen, bath, bedrooms etc. The ground floor was an unfinished area with just over 7 ft. ceilings when I got this house in 91. I finished it, put in a bath, fridge, old sofa from upstairs when we got a new one, stereo, 32 inch TV, exercise equipment and a couple of dart boards. It has an open floor plan that covers just under 1000 sq. ft. with an attached woodworking shop with just over 700 sq. ft. It is my domain, my sanctuary. When things get too hectic upstairs, I do my best Quasimodo impersonation and head for my little slice of heaven.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”