kgall

Sweet Banana Peppers

How do I know they are ready to pick?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've grown lots of banana peppers over the years and generally pick them when they are about 3-4 inches long. When they are that size, the stem end is near the size of a quarter. I generally use those in salads and put lots of them up pickled, some hot, some sweet.

kgall

Thank You ! I picked one and put it in a salad and I wasn't thrilled with the taste...Maybe I waited too long? I don't know! There are a bunch on there now and I hope to pickle them if I can figure that out! Yumm!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

You should try picking at different times for the peppers. 3"-4" seems kinda small to me. I pick them when they are much bigger and they are great.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gix, I tend to pick them at that size since I use them mostly as whole pickled peppers and even at 3-4 inches, I can only get 12-15 or so in a quart jar. If they get much larger I'd need a 1/2 to 1 gallon jar. :>)

Once in a while I'll slice some and add jalapenos to the jar and pickle them but the last couple of years I've been growing a Belgian pepper that looks just like a banana pepper but has the heat of a jalapeno. My wife can't take the heat of some of these peppers so careful attention to labeling is a must when canning.

kgall

If I add Anaheim chiles when I pickle them will they get hotter? My husband would LOVE hot pickles!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”