jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Woo Hoo! First crookneck.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/crookneck1.jpg[/img]

I picked these then got some broccoli and a green onion and went in and made a stir fry. Yummy.

Look at the size of that leaf.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Very healthy looking plants. Obviously no a problem with SVB's with all that healthy dark green foliage and nice squash to boot. I'm envious, great job.

Hopefully, my second planting will fare much better than the first attempt that the borers ate up.

applestar
Mod

Looking good! Talk about fresh-picked. That must have been delicious. :D

Urban_Garden
Cool Member

Yummy! :D I love how green those plants are! How do you avoid squash borers?

My squash is eh. =/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

How do I avoid squash borers? I think my location has much to do with it. The winters here are cold. It kills bugs and their eggs. Many of the pests that plague you lowlanders are just non existent here because of that. The insects can winter further south and as it warms up they will begin moving northwards but many years they never make it here. I have only seen squash borers a couple of times in my years of gardening. Some years the corn earworms never make it either. Other years the earworms are bad.

We have low humidity here. Today it was 18% relative humidity. Because of that we don't get many of the fungal pests that I hear so much about. No problems with slugs either.

sciencegal

jal_ut wrote:We have low humidity here. Today it was 18% relative humidity. Because of that we don't get many of the fungal pests that I hear so much about. No problems with slugs either.
You also should explain what winter is like or else you'll have about a 1000 neighbors moving in next door. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those look yummy Jal I harvest one about the size of those than the borers took my plant almost overnight. :x Your plant is looking great as usual. :D

You and you 18% humidity I keep telling people about you. I was talking to someone abut that last night when it was 100 degrees and about 90+% humidity.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

haha! NICE squash! We just pulled and replanted the second go rounds! (as if I haven't had enough) They just sprouted :()

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ya, ya, you get two seasons and we are lucky to get one.

Winters? Yes, they start in October and end in April. My Dad used to say we had two seasons, Winter and July! He was not far off.................
It is not unusual to get minus 20 and sometimes lower. Snow on the ground for 7 months some years. Yes, lovely winters.

Today is another beautiful day. Sunny and blue skies. The temperature started out at 60 and will get close to 90. I had the water on my garden last night, so the squash will really grow today.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_eve.jpg[/img]

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

hehehe! I would trade 2 seasons for no squashbugs :wink:

kgall

I still want to move in with you! :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

LindsayArthurRTR wrote:
hehehe! I would trade 2 seasons for no squashbugs :wink:
I'll raise you a season for no humidity. :lol:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Good job jal. Those plants are beautiful, squash looks good, and the stir fry sounds yummy. How 'bout a quick recipe on the stir fry?

I have all the humidity, warm weather, fungus, borers, etc that you are able to avoid. But a few of my squash plants have managed to survive the elements, and give me a few squash every few days. Also, I have some small plants from seed planted about 10 days agao. I will try to keep them shaded, sprayed and alive. If they can make it through hot July then I might have some sqaush on into the fall.

One of the greatest things about this forum is the tremendous variety in the harvest of each area.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

. How 'bout a quick recipe on the stir fry?
Two crooknecks, 3 green onions, handful of broccoli, cut them up some, bit of oil and fry it.

I just make up stir fry as I go. It often has carrots, potatoes, and peppers. Depends on what is available. A slice of bacon along with it is nice too, but it must always have onions.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
. How 'bout a quick recipe on the stir fry?
Two crooknecks, 3 green onions, handful of broccoli, cut them up some, bit of oil and fry it.

I just make up stir fry as I go. It often has carrots, potatoes, and peppers. Depends on what is available. A slice of bacon along with it is nice too, but it must always have onions.

Sounds good, but is there a recipe out there that shouldn't have onions in it, or garlic for that matter? :wink:

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

jal_ut wrote:Ya, ya, you get two seasons and we are lucky to get one.

Winters? Yes, they start in October and end in April. My Dad used to say we had two seasons, Winter and July! He was not far off.................
It is not unusual to get minus 20 and sometimes lower. Snow on the ground for 7 months some years. Yes, lovely winters.

Today is another beautiful day. Sunny and blue skies. The temperature started out at 60 and will get close to 90. I had the water on my garden last night, so the squash will really grow today.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/garden_eve.jpg[/img]
That sounds a lot like our winters but we still get the SVB, very humid summers and fungal pests. Darn, you're making me jealous too.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

18% humidity!?!? wow!!! that is amazing! no wonder I have so much fungal disease here, the air is so thick you can cut it with a knife LOL!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

More pictures [url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Garden/garden.htm]Here[/url] if you are interested.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”