xtrace

Nothing will grow

I am a beginning gardener and have been trying to grow veg and herbs in pots for over a year now. The ones that sprout soon die. I live in an overcast area, but I get full sunlight after 1pm. My topsy turvy won,t even grow. I water about 4 days a weeks sometimes more. I but organic potting soil and I use that only. What is the issue

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Witch Shell Beach are you. :D

Shell Beach, California
Shell Beach, Florida
Shell Beach, Guyana
Shell Beach, Louisiana
Shell Beach, Western Australia

I'm thinking it would really be hard to tell what your problems are. Pictures may help and a little more information.

To small a pot. Root bound
Not enough fertilizer or nutrients. To much fertilizer, burning
Over watering or underwatering. Root rot
To much heat. sun scorch

Eric

applestar
Mod

I can sense how discouraged you are. I think what might help is to try some things that are easy to build you confidence back up. What do you say?

I believe you said before that you live in Southern California. Hot right now right? So that's going to limit what you can grow right now, but it will be good practice for later.

To start with, let's review the kind of soil you are using. Are you buying potting soil? It's OK to mix up your own soil mix if you have access to good garden soil, but because of weed issues, I really recommend beginning gardeners to use weed seed-free store-bought material. Purchase a good quality potting soil or buy a brick of shredded coir and bags of perlte and top soil and mix them in equal parts. A little worm casting or compost would be good to add. I'm just going to zip through these instructions -- we can fine tune details later when you're ready to start.

For things to try growing right now, I think top of the list would be bush beans. (Even if you don't like beans, I recommend you try growing them for practice) Something else that I think is easy to grow is onion bottoms and garlic for the onion greens and garlic greens. They can be grown indoors on a sunny windowsill since it's too hot outside. Basil is a relatively easy herb to grow from seeds and from cuttings. Often very fresh basil is sold in grocery stores.

I'm sure there are others. If this sounds like a good idea, we can plan a course of action and see if we can get you up to speed for fall planting of more interesting crops. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with AS. But another thought is it sounds like you've been trying to grow things from seeds ("the ones that sprout"). That is very rewarding and I love to start seeds, but it is a little tricky until you know what you are doing and requires the right combination of light and enough but not too much water (I'm guessing too much water may turn out to be part of your problem). To get started at this gardening thing, the easiest way would be to go to a good nursery (NOT big box) and buy yourself some plants. Pepper plants and basil would be good choices for containers. The nurseries probably have everything on sale now.

Pop them in your containers (2 gallon size or more) and work on keeping them alive and thriving. Once you've got that down come back and we will talk more about seed starting! :)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Is container growing (pots) your only option?
Sometimes (not always) growing "in the ground" can be easier.

pepper4
Green Thumb

xtrace, I grew all my plants in pots this year other then garlic and grean beans. Beans got washed away with heavy rains before they had a chance. In 5 gallon pots I have cukes, onions, peppers and tomatos. I did not start with seed but bought starters from nursery. I used a mix of potting soil and organic peat. With the hot weather we have been having I've been watering everyday sometimes twice a day. Container gardening requires alot more watering especially if you're having hot weather. Don't get discouraged or give up. Last year I couldn't grow peppers for nothing but mators and cukes did great. This year just the opposite. I agree with some of the others. Pick up a few plants such as peppers as suggested from your nursery and give it another try. Don't give up or get discouraged by failures. If I or we all did that there eventually wouldn't be a forum. Good luck and hang in there. Let us know how it goes.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have a history of killing seedlings and this is what I learned:

Don't just mist them, actually soak the pot at least once a week.
While you are soaking that pot, feed the babies.
They have just enough energy to sprout, but not to grow.
Now babies like weak food, so just barely feed them, like 1/4 the recommended amount.
And they like light, a bright window or a light really close to them.

The sun will cook them, unless you started them in the sun to begin with, and cold will slow them or kill them.

Sounds simple! But after years of growing seedlings, I finally realized it is that simple: water, temperature, food, and light...

After they start growing you have to increase pot size, but they still need the same things.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”