sciencegal

sheeshshe wrote:um, eww. I don't want to deal w/ my chickens getting worms!! I think I'll pass on letting them get the hoppers.... gross!
Don't worry your chickens can't get worms from eating grasshoppers with worms. The adult worm does not do the infecting. If they were a type of worm that can infect chickens, the chickens would have to eat the immature larvae that are on the ground.

The large worm that was seen when the grasshopper was dying or put in water was probably a horsehair worm. They are very cool worms actually. When an infected cricket or grasshopper falls in water this huge worm comes out. You often see these worms in puddles of water after a rain.

Here is a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df_iGe_JSzI&feature=related]youtube video[/url] of a cricket that falls in water and the horsehair worm emerges. They don't know the anything else about the lifecycle of this worm such as how does the worm infect the grasshopper.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sciencegal thanks for the video I think. :P It was both cool and pretty disturbing. Hard to believe that big 'ol worm was inside that little 'ol cricket.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

ewww seriously? how on earth did that FIT in the cricket?! that is whacky!

timberjet

sciencegal wrote:
sheeshshe wrote:um, eww. I don't want to deal w/ my chickens getting worms!! I think I'll pass on letting them get the hoppers.... gross!
Don't worry your chickens can't get worms from eating grasshoppers with worms. The adult worm does not do the infecting. If they were a type of worm that can infect chickens, the chickens would have to eat the immature larvae that are on the ground.

The large worm that was seen when the grasshopper was dying or put in water was probably a horsehair worm. They are very cool worms actually. When an infected cricket or grasshopper falls in water this huge worm comes out. You often see these worms in puddles of water after a rain.
Here is a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df_iGe_JSzI&feature=related]youtube video[/url] of a cricket that falls in water and the horsehair worm emerges. They don't know the anything else about the lifecycle of this worm such as how does the worm infect the grasshopper.
that is just disturbing!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:shock: GROSS!!!! I will NEVER look at a grasshopper the same way again.
But thanks!!!! I just figured out how to get videos on my phone!

celticfarm
Newly Registered

I had them wipe out the majority of my seedlings this year :( A true plague. Wrote a quick article on how we got them under control here:

https://www.thecelticfarm.com/get-rid-of-grasshoppers/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can eat the grasshoppers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You can eat the grasshoppers.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I don't know why my last post got put up twice?????

Anyway, there are loads of recipes for eating grasshopper on the internet if you are interested in looking?

Towlieee

My pair of baby bell peppers in a 5 gallon bucket on our 3rd floor balcony has acquired a katydid, just one. I just let him be, I figure ONE can't cause too much harm lol

Other than the fact he is loud as hell, trying to catch some ass up here on my balcony =P

applestar
Mod

:lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”