garden5
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:OK, now I have to go buy some bacon! 8)
I'm going to have to second that :lol:. Everything just tastes better with bacon, doesn't it?

731greener101
Cool Member

It's all about the pig. :) Greener

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

As Emeril Lagasse says, "Pork fat rules!"

FOF, looks like that jalapeno should have gotten picked a week or so back. I havev noted a tendency to get woody as they get too old... pick 'em smaller if you need to and keep the water on them...

HG

Shoontok

Ok, after reading this I know what I'm gonna do with the 5 or 6 Jalapenos that are ready to pick.

I gotta some bacon and cheddar in the fridge. And I got a grill/smoker. And got the charcoal and hickory chips. Damn I think I'm outta starter fluid!

Oh well, guess ill have to use some paper and kindlin wood to get them coals a cookin'

Richee

I cut a Jalapeno into slices last week, then breaded it like you would breaded Okra.

It turned out REALLY good. :D

Shoontok

[img]https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/jimsporty/100_0366.jpg[/img]

Yep, there be sum jalapeno and cheddar under that there fatty bacon. Weather permitting.... out door grill/smoker or bake it on the oven?

Richee

Nice! :P

Shoontok

[img]https://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/jimsporty/100_0367.jpg[/img]

Hmmmmm, three of them dissapeared before I got the camera out. Ummm I got a mild burning sensation in my mouth and damn that was good! See ya later I think I got 7 more to eat!

Shoontok

now if I only I could grow sliced bacon on a plant id be all set! But I'll settle for the free jalapenos in my backyard ;)

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

The Helpful Gardener wrote:As Emeril Lagasse says, "Pork fat rules!"

FOF, looks like that jalapeno should have gotten picked a week or so back. I havev noted a tendency to get woody as they get too old... pick 'em smaller if you need to and keep the water on them...

HG
Okay I finally ate it. Not bad, nor was it woody, but it seemed way more mild than I desired. I like 'em hot. Because of that I was beginning to think I picked it too early and should pick any future ones later. O_o

I'll have to try the bacon thing. I have at least a couple if not three others ripening. As far as water goes, I've been trying, but there are 3 days each week when I am away at least 12 hours (work + commute) that things have to be on their own. Presently 2 of those days when I get back home it is near or past sunset and I'm mobbed by mosquitoes, so not much night watering can be done. One one of those days I have a close to an evening shift and a following morning shift, so no morning watering can be done. Things can be badly wilted by the time I get home in the evening.

When I do water, I use a soaker nozzle and move it around every few minutes to an hour.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I prefer leaving some heat in the peppers when you cook them. I removed all the seeds and membranes from mine in hopes others would eat them. Still to hot for them though. I think some people break out in a rash if they hear the word "jalapeno". Next time, I'll just remove the seeds and leave the membranes.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

What do you mean by "membrane"? Do you mean the starchy stuff that the seeds are attached to?

I'm also curious to know how many of you leave the seeds in the pepper or remove them.

I, personally clean out all my peppers because, as Ted said, not everyone likes them hot.

731greener101
Cool Member

Membranes are as you described.I personally remove both.My peppers are still extremely hot this year.I believe it's partly because of variety and partly due to soil.Last years(in a different garden)peppers were so mild I used them like bell peppers.They really spiced up my Chinese dishes though.Long live the pepper.Long live the worm.Greener

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard that if you bury a match when you plant each pepper, the sulfur will make the plants grow better and the peppers hotter.

Personally, I think this is a bit of an old wive's tale. Anyone ever try this with any luck?

731greener101
Cool Member

I've not tried the match trick as I wanted to see what Scoville my soil produced.In the garden I grew in last year I plan to add some sulfur but not a lot.I find my tomatoes have less acidity in that soil.In the other garden I will not add sulfur as my peppers are plenty hot.Greener

tedln
Super Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I've heard that if you bury a match when you plant each pepper, the sulfur will make the plants grow better and the peppers hotter.

Personally, I think this is a bit of an old wive's tale. Anyone ever try this with any luck?
There are a lot of wives tales that have no basis in fact. My problem has always been determining which do and which don't.

I always questioned the old story about the Indians burying a small fish in the hole when they planted corn. I predug some holes for tomato plants this year. I placed the seedlings in each hole still in their containers. In a few cases I pressed them firmly into the soil. I left them like that for a few days before removing them, removing the container, and replanting. I noticed in one hole, I had pressed a large frog into the soil along with the plant. I planted the tomato on top of the frog. It grew better than the other tomato plants.

Ted

731greener101
Cool Member

Poor frog he gave his all for the tomato.I live near a large lake and fish there a lot.At the ramp I use to put my boat in and out there is a fish cleaning station that has half barrels to collect refuse.I have frequently thought of asking the owner(a friend) if I could remove some of the material.He returns the fish parts to the lake where turtles wait for the free meals.Greener

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Pretty good investigating, Ted. I planted 2 of my tomato plants in holes that had a banana peel place in them and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. The peels do work well with rosebushes, though.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I have found some lime in the soil to be beneficial with peppers for heat, maybe gypsum for a really stable source...

HG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the clarification. I've heard that if you bury a match when you plant each pepper, the sulfur will make the plants grow better and the peppers hotter.

Yes. I have done that. Not just a match, but about ten of the book matches. I think it is for the phosphorous, not the sulphur. The peppers did well. I must confess I did it to all, so had none without the matches to compare.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:I have found some lime in the soil to be beneficial with peppers for heat, maybe gypsum for a really stable source...

HG
Do you put it directly in the hole or spread it over the general area before you plant?

How much do you use?

This is one I've never heard of.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:I have found some lime in the soil to be beneficial with peppers for heat, maybe gypsum for a really stable source...

HG
I've found the gypsum wall board pulverized into a powder works well. It also helps prevent blossom end rot. The older wall board works best because it had basically only gypsum and glue. The newer wall board has other components I prefer to not put in my garden. Don't use Chinese wall board because it has some really toxic stuff in it. To be really safe, simply buy some garden lime at the garden center.

Ted

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Or pelleted gypsum... or plain old lime...

G5, I really never amend soil in a hole (ocassionally a sprinkle of compost). I broadcast lime on the surface and watered in; a surface app of gypsum pellets would work the same way...

HG

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Or pelleted gypsum... or plain old lime...

G5, I really never amend soil in a hole (ocassionally a sprinkle of compost). I broadcast lime on the surface and watered in; a surface app of gypsum pellets would work the same way...

HG
Oh, OK.

I've heard that you shouldn't lime unless you know what your ph is and even then, only if it's too low.

Do you agree with this, or do you think that an annual application of lime is beneficial regardless?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”