gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Who else grows Soy beans for Edamame?

I'll put in a row (45 or so feet) of Edamame quality soy bean seeds in my garden each spring and am wondering who else enjoys planting this prolific plant. I'm also wondering if there is a source for these seeds that don't cost an arm and a leg like the seed packets I've been able to get hold of at a local nursery. As seeds go, they are the most expensive I've ever bought for a vegetable garden with local nursery's offering them at close to $4 a packet of 15 seeds. Throw in the problem I had last spring with only 1 in about 4 seeds actually sprouting and it can get a little pricey putting a row of them in when compared to other starter seeds. I found I can grow them spaced about 4 inches apart with good production and great looking plants.

When I go to my father-in-laws house in the country, I can buy bulk soybean seeds by the lb. at local seed and feed stores and am wondering if these will work the same or are they strictly "feed quality" seed stock similar to the different varieties of corn crops out there. I've asked these folks but they, for the most part, have no idea what edamame is or if their seeds will fit my needs.

Any info would be of great help.....

applestar
Mod

What variety did you plant? I don't grow in such large volume, so one small packet of seeds is more than enough for me, but as long as you start with Open Pollinated (or Heirloom) variety, you can allow some beans to mature then harvest and save them as seeds for next year. I left some pods to dry on the plants out in the field, others I had to bring in because hard freeze was coming, but the mature fully filled out pods, when allowed to dry out along with the plants, yielded fully colored dried beans.

I have noted with delight that almost any seeds that I save for myself has far better germination rates than store bought seeds.

I grow two different varieties, Tamba Kuro Otsubu and Lucky Lion (originally from kitazawaseed.com), and grow them in two different garden beds separated by the house to ensure they don't cross.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My cousin plants about 2000 acres every summer. Sometimes he grows corn and some times soy beans and some times both. I can get you a truck load of soy beans pretty cheap. How many lbs of soy beans will fit in a $10.70 flat rate postage box?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Applestar, it is a variety called Green Pearls from Burpee that now run $4.95 for 3/4 oz. worth of seeds. With the size of my garden, and in a hurry to get the ground ready for something new, I failed to leave some of the plants go to seed----my mistake since it really wouldn't have hurt to leave a few plants down.

As per the second reply, I can buy soybean seeds by the pound fairly cheap in the farming areas of our state, but I'm concerned about the quality of the end product.

applestar
Mod

In New Orleans, you should be able to plant a second crop -- probably a little later maybe in September? (They need night temps in the 60's while the pods are setting and maturing.) Why don't you grow a small patch enough for next year's seeds?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

That's a great idea, since the ones I picked earlier this season are gone with the exception of a single quart bag in the freezer. My 19 yr. old daughter will eat them for breakfast when they are plentiful.

I will have the room for some right after I pull some of my summer plants in mid Sept. I can start some in peat pots and have them ready to hit the soil as soon as I get it tilled and add some composted material to it. I'll be sure to leave a few plants in to go to seed.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”