lilcee

Tired of the worms

Worms are taking over my garden. I had to pull up my beans because I couldn't get rid of them and the plants were dying.
Now today, I noticed that one of the blossoms on my sweet potatoes had a worm in it.
How do I get rid of the worms?
I've sprayed Neem but it doesn't seem to be helping.
This is my first time growing sweet potatoes. Do the blossoms fall off after they open? I was wondering because that's what mine did. They opened one day and the next day, they were on the ground. Is that normal?
Thanks

sassyjvg

Wow, I never thought I'd hear someone make such a declaration, especially since I just bought :P my first pound(red wigglers)! You make me want to go out and peek underground at my growing sweet potatoes and see whats going on underground. I hope things get better soon.
~Now I know tis the forever truth that "God made dirt so dirt don't hurt". It has already been kissed up to God~

~If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything~

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm guessing lilcee means worms in the sense of inchworms, caterpillers, hornworms, cutworms (i.e. bad guys), not in the sense of earthworms.

Diatomaceous earth is good against crawlers like that.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

sassyjvg

:oops: :oops: :oops: Seems I still have plenty to learn. :?
~Now I know tis the forever truth that "God made dirt so dirt don't hurt". It has already been kissed up to God~

~If you don't stand for something you'll fall for anything~

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Lilcee, try some Bt to mix with water and spray on your plants.
It is organic, won't hurt other species, just the worms that eat your plants.
You will need to go ahead and hand pick larger worms, I use a stick to get them off then step on them. If you spray about weekly you can control them, once you have handpicked the big ones, and this has kept the small ones killed off.
Bt is bacillus thurgensis and it is sold under different brand names.
It won't hurt ladybugs, or birds, frogs, pets, children etc. Just plant eating worms.
Talk to your plants.... If your plants talk to you... Run!

lilcee

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Yes, I was talking about the catapiller type worms. The ones that eat everything in the garden "ugh"
I don't' think I have any of the good worms that you put in the soil.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

OL, we need to mention that certain strains of BT are specific to certain types of "worms"...

I made the distinctions on [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14554]this thread[/url]...

Flies like fungus gnats are killed with one type of BT that wouldn't touch the catepillars that are lilcees issue... It's good though, because secondary kills are almost eliminated...

HG
Scott Reil

nedwina

Re: Tired of the worms

lilcee wrote:This is my first time growing sweet potatoes. Do the blossoms fall off after they open? I was wondering because that's what mine did. They opened one day and the next day, they were on the ground. Is that normal?
Thanks
Yes. They are members of the morning glory family and have a very short bloom time. S'ok.

lilcee

Thanks everyone for your help. I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful here. I've learned a lot. It's been a long time since I had a garden and the soil is much different here in FL than in NY so I have to learn all over again. Thanks again

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”