hardland

I'm in baking hot FL, what has a chance of growing in this ..

I'm in baking hot FL, what has a chance of growing in this heat? I did quite well with tomatoes, squash and beans in the Jan-April months. I would like to get something going in our summer, what would survive 95 degrees and close to 90% humidity ? I've heard that Okra, cucumber and cherry tomatoes might work ? Any suggestions ?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I live in New Orleans and have the same daily conditions as you are experiencing. My garden now only contains a healthy 12 foot long trellis that is keeping me and my neighbors in cucumbers. I'm picking anywhere from 3 to 6 a day of the straight 8's. My eggplant (ichiban) are doing OK but I only have 4 plants left. Okra is going great. I have about 30 plants approximately 6 feet tall and yesterday I harvested 35 nice pods and another 30 this morning with production gearing up for several more weeks. They love the heat. Also pepper plants that are struggling but show promise for cooler weather if the heat doesn't kill them before hand.

I recently replanted 3 different types of squash and they are up about 5 inches now and should be picking them in Sept. if all goes according to plan. I also replanted my pole beans with 2 different varieties and they are just getting to the bottom of the trellis, so it will be several weeks before they are ready for any production. I started 3 different varieties of tomatoes for my fall garden too and am waiting for them to sprout in the peat pots.

When the cooler weather comes in around late Sept. I'll get the seeds for my leafy stuff in the ground-----lettuces, arugula, swiss chard, endive, escarole, collards & turnip greens. It is at that time I also plant Broccoli and brussell sprouts. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I don't generally plant things like cabbage or cauliflower since they are just a 1 and done type crop. I value my garden space and would rather have things I can pick from over a longer period of time like broccoli with its main head and side shoots extending production for several weeks.

Hope this helps some.

lorax
Greener Thumb

The tropical fruits come to mind - Bananas will do amazingly well in those conditions, as will Papaya and its relatives, Ginger, Avocado, and the more esoteric fruits like Naranjilla, Tomate de Arbol, and Uvilla (Ground Cherry). In the veg department, setting up vining things like cukes, melons or squash on trellises and using them to shade leaf-lettuce, spinach, and other "cool" crops works wonderfully.

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

Maybe you can try Luffa. It is edible when small and produces a nice shower sponge when fully ripe. It is something I wish I could grow, but our season is far too short.

(Doesn't keep me from trying this year to grow it, though. :wink: )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”