jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have just been browsing Burpees online catalog. Wow, they have 32 varieties of cucumber listed. I have been thinking of planting a burpless cuke this season. Any recommendations for a good one?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I never grow these things, I never buy them at the grocery store, I never eat them either. Its not for me.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

This year I'm branching out a bit with the cucs. I already have General Lee Pickling Cucumbers in the ground along with some Straight 8's and Armenian Cucumbers. I love bread and butter style pickles so I have about 12 ft. of trellis devoted to them and the rest of the trellis to the other 2 varieties.

Unlike Gary350, I eat them almost daily in the summer in salads or just by themselves with a bit of salt. I know I'll have more than I really need so the neighbors and relatives will once again benefit.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I want to try the lemon cucumbers this year. Do they taste any different than the green ones?

Avonnow
Green Thumb

That cucumber from Applestar is amazing I want to try something like that.
I will have to investigate, never sure if it is too hot here for some varieties.
Last year I was not too adventurous. I tried Burpee Sweeter yet Hybrid
and they look and tasted - like a cucumber. I also used one from Gurneys
Hybrid Miss Pickler. Now they looked just like the others.
These are the Sweeter yet Hybrid
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/IMG_0066.jpg[/img]
These are the Miss Pickler
[img]https://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/Avonnow/IMG_0053.jpg[/img]
The second didn't last long, aphids nearly destroyed that healthy plant in no time. :roll:

This year I am trying some Johnny's Hybrids. (3) different kinds actually, I saw alot of mention of the Straight 8 and may get those as well since alot of people mentioned it.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Jal,

I always grow lots of cucumbers because we enjoy them and our friends and family who receive bags of them also appreciate them.

I always grow "Sweet Success" because they are burpless and grow to about 16" long and remain tender and sweet. They are also all female blooms and produce a lot more fruit than other varieties. I also always grow a second crop of a different variety. Last year, the experimental variety was "Armenian" and they did great producing lots of long tender fruit and when the weather warmed a lot, they started producing melon sized fruit.

This year, my experimental bed is seeded with "Diva" which is supposed to be a heavy producer of burpless cucumbers about eight inches long. It is also an all female variety which should double the production. Since it doesn't have any of the natural chemicals which sometimes make cucumbers bitter, it is less attractive to cucumber beetles and is supposed to be resistant to common cucumber diseases like powdery mildew.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the ideas. I am sitting here this afternoon watching it snow.
Grrrrr!
Cuke planting time here is June 1, but I am thinking of buying seed soon.

I have planted Armenians for many years, and usually put in a few, You are right, they can get huge. This is actually a muskmelon. Cucumis melo.

Cucumbers are Cucumis sativus

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I have three mixed packs of cucumber seeds. They are marked pickling, sweet slice hybrid, Asian. I buy various seeds which fit the three categories and mix the seeds together. What I get each season is the pure chance of the draw. My wife and I love cucumbers and strive to have a continuous supply from late May through November or December.

tedly
Cool Member

Total newbie question here. I didn't realize cukes could be grown on a trellis. I see chicken wire in some of the pics, is it a fill frame or just stretched between 2 posts? How big should it be? Thanks for any info. :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tedly wrote:Total newbie question here. I didn't realize cukes could be grown on a trellis. I see chicken wire in some of the pics, is it a fill frame or just stretched between 2 posts? How big should it be? Thanks for any info. :)
In my opinion, that is the only way to grow them. They do grow nicely on a trellis and it helps keep the fruit off the ground and easier to pick. I have 2 trellises in my garden, 1 for cucs and the other for pole beans of different varieties. All of my trellises are made of 2x4 pressure treated lumber with 8 ft. posts in the ground by 2 ft. deep and a series of three 2x4's stretched between the uprights, one on the bottom, one on the top and one in the middle to which hog wire is stapled to. To help support the thing and keep it nice and straight, I'll drive a 2x4 about 18 inches long into the ground about 12 in. from the base of the uprights and use a 1x4 at an angle to the sides of the upright 2x4 and the ground stake.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Jal, I don't see that Burpee has it but I have grown Tasty Green (Burpless 26) for quite a few years. A lot of companies carry seed for that one under one or the other name.

When I first started growing it, I thought of it as an "English cucumber" because it was like the ones with that label that were showing up in the supermarket. However, I have since learned that it is grown by Sakata Seed in Japan.

Whatever it is, Tasty Green is a good cucumber. Turbo is a real nice American slicing cucumber. It is one of those, gynoecious types.

Steve

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I don't tend to have a problem with cucumbers so don't need to grow the so called burpless varieties. I prefer pickling cukes, but they are sometimes bitter. That is why I started growing some of the non bitter slicing types like Sweet Slice. Last year I decided to experiment with some of the Asian varieties and in the future will likely continue to grow some of all three. Since I don't have any particular preference, as mentioned earlier, I just mix the seeds in three separate packs and take what comes out when planting. My earliest transplants are getting pretty large and will likely begin to bloom in a week or two. Hope I can keep those plants healthy and growing until transplanting time. Also need to keep my fingers crossed, that the transplanting process is not too traumatic for the monster sized transplants. I've still got to wait another six weeks before they go into the ground.

[img]https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5178/5499820143_398118db58_o.jpg[/img]

gardenvt
Green Thumb

I'm growing Tasty Jade, Alibi and Marketmore 76. These are all new to me so it will be interesting to see how well they do and taste.

I've grown Diva for a number of years and you don't want to let it get to be 8 inches - it will be full of seed. They are best about the size of a pickle - 3-4 inches.

We grew Lemon last year and it was delicious when allowed to get a slight blush on the bottom. Very mild in taste. The squirrels dug up my first ones and I replaced them with some from a garden center - lost all the cukes to wilt.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt wrote:I'm growing Tasty Jade, Alibi and Marketmore 76. These are all new to me so it will be interesting to see how well they do and taste.

I've grown Diva for a number of years and you don't want to let it get to be 8 inches - it will be full of seed. They are best about the size of a pickle - 3-4 inches.

We grew Lemon last year and it was delicious when allowed to get a slight blush on the bottom. Very mild in taste. The squirrels dug up my first ones and I replaced them with some from a garden center - lost all the cukes to wilt.
The Diva is supposed to be resistant to most of the common cucumber diseases. What has been your experience with problems like powdery mildew and cucumber beetles on the Diva variety?

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Alex,

Good looking plants. You may have cucumbers before you get them planted in the garden.

Ted

applestar
Mod

Alex, couldn't you grow one or two in your big greenhouse? What's it like in there in the summer? Almost all British gardening ref. books talk about growing cucumbers in the glass house against the wall, but weather conditions are very diifferent.

Among others, I'll be growing some Armenians this year, thanks to a certain somebody who sent me some seeds :wink:. Also, Lemon and the third generation Picarow.

Not so sure about the Japanese Yamato -- as nice as that looked in the picture, top 1/3 too bitter for even me to swallow is saying something. :shock: And we had a horrible stinkbug (ID'd as Brown Marmorated) outbreak last summer and they REALLY liked the Yamato cukes.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've tried growing tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse, but each time had a terrible problem with white flies, plus had poor results getting any kind of decent production. Just hasn't seemed worth the time and effort. Plus the greenhouse is mostly full or orchids plus a couple dozen overwintering tender perennials.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

They probably would also take up so mush space that it wouldn't be worth it, either.

Really, they are productive enough that you don't necessarily have to pre-start them. However, if you can get a solid start like Alex did, it may be worth it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”