applestar
Mod

Alex, couldn't you grow one or two in your big greenhouse? What's it like in there in the summer? Almost all British gardening ref. books talk about growing cucumbers in the glass house against the wall, but weather conditions are very diifferent.

Among others, I'll be growing some Armenians this year, thanks to a certain somebody who sent me some seeds :wink:. Also, Lemon and the third generation Picarow.

Not so sure about the Japanese Yamato -- as nice as that looked in the picture, top 1/3 too bitter for even me to swallow is saying something. :shock: And we had a horrible stinkbug (ID'd as Brown Marmorated) outbreak last summer and they REALLY liked the Yamato cukes.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I've tried growing tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse, but each time had a terrible problem with white flies, plus had poor results getting any kind of decent production. Just hasn't seemed worth the time and effort. Plus the greenhouse is mostly full or orchids plus a couple dozen overwintering tender perennials.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

They probably would also take up so mush space that it wouldn't be worth it, either.

Really, they are productive enough that you don't necessarily have to pre-start them. However, if you can get a solid start like Alex did, it may be worth it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”