Stella Blue

Suggestions for a newbie please

Hi everyone. I am brand new to gardening, and have a small plot (20 X 8). I wold like to start growing things in it this year, but just don't know what can be planted right now (or in the coming weeks). I'm in USDA 5, and am open to any and all suggestions. As much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated, especially when your suggestions can be harvested (fall or spring).

I'm super pumped about starting a garden, and look forward to replies. Thank you so much in advance.

Stella

rkunsaw

Hi Stella
I really don't know what to plant in your area.I just wanted to say if you are starting a new garden you could just plant cover crops to add to the soil and also start making a compost pile.A well prepared bed will make a happy garden. :D
Larry

crobi13

Welcome!

Check out this link for a chart of what you can plant for your area:

https://www.veggieharvest.com/Vegetable-Planting-Calendar/zone-5/

Stella Blue

Thank you very much for the replies!!! Although I know that my garden's soil is not very well prepared, I did do some planting today, just to see if I can get anything going this year. Broccoli, carrots, spinach, beets and lettuce. And did start a compost pile to be better prepared for next year. Hopefully, I'll have some good results to post here in a few weeks.

Stella

microcollie
Green Thumb

Now that you've tilled it, it would be best not to leave it empty for too long. Autumn rains and winter weather will not be good for your soil structure if its bare. If you can't plant it all this year, you really should consider a cover crop. I plant white clover when I have this type of situation. It not only will help with soil structure, but will add nitrogen.
That said, there's still plenty of time to do most greens and lettuces, radishes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, & nasturtiums.

You could fill in with a couple flats of flowers. Now's the time to find all kinds of annuals marked way down, including herbs.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”