gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's getting to be garlic time people.

I know it's not time to plant garlic but it is getting to be time to buy garlic if needed.

I'm still kicking myself in the butt for waiting too long last year. When I went to order myself some garlic everybody was sold out. So trying to get a jump on this season how do you all go about it?

This is my first year with garlic (and boy was I stupid for waiting this long) I planted some I got form the grocery store last fall, since everyone was sold out. I worked that section of the garden this spring since I didn't see any growth only to find it was growing and I acted too soon. So I bought some from Lowe's and planted this spring so far I have harvested some small bulbs. I actually used some last night and it was good but the bulb was roughly quarter sized. I want huge bulbs.

So what are your favorite suppliers and what are your favorite varieties? This year I want it to go good. So any help would be great. I know a lot of other people are thinking this same thing. So let's get the garlic thread cracking.

Dang I love garlic. :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well, I would have to vote for "Music" a hardneck garlic. :D

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02406.jpg[/img]

It produces a very good scape and fairly large bulb. I've been growing it for 8 years. My supplier was my brother and I think his came from Territorial Seed Co. https://www.territorialseed.com/product/1302/26

Here, we plant late October through November. They grow to a couple inches tall, then winter over. I harvested my crop about a week ago.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Eric I keep seeing "Music" as being a favorite even after I looked at catalogs and thought of it as being something I would like to try. Another one I see a lot of is Chesnok Red.

Great harvest I must add. If you put all mine together they might add up to one of those. :lol: :oops:

"Garlic growers do it in the fall" I need to make some bumper stickers.............I'll be back. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I was just looking at my softneck thinking it is getting close to harvest time.

I planted Elephant Garlic in the fall and it failed. So I planted some more in the spring. It came up and is growing, but I don't know what to expect from it. I have never spring planted any garlic before.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well Jal knowing you it will be amazing but from my experience don't expect much from a spring planting.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

My softneck garlic, especially the puny ones, has started to fall over. It's also going brown, no matter how much I fertilize or water. Does this mean I should harvest it?

How do I dry it? I know I should wash it before drying. I think I'm supposed to peel the outer layer. Then what? Do I tie it in bundles and hang it, maybe in my basement? How long before it dries?

I'm nervous about these. When I prepped that bed, I found three wire worms. I don't like growing root crops . . .

rkunsaw

My wife takes care of the garlic growing.I think her favorite is called silver rose.She has a few elephant garlic in her flowers,but we don't use it for cooking.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Stella I wouldn't wash it after harvesting. Just let it dry and the dirt will come off when dry. Rub of the big chunks and the rest will come off easily later. Washing leads to problems such as rot. :D

Same thing with all root crops.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:Stella I wouldn't wash it after harvesting. Just let it dry and the dirt will come off when dry. Rub of the big chunks and the rest will come off easily later. Washing leads to problems such as rot. :D

Same thing with all root crops.
Whoops. Too late. Now they're outside during a rare Wyoming rain. Rather than hijack your thread, Gix, I started a new thread with pictures of my harvest. I have many questions in there.

I did speak to my neighbor tonight about going in on some hardneck garlic seed, so I'll be watching this thread to see what everyone says about the favorite suppliers and favorite varieties. So far, hardneck type appears to be the route to go! Are there varieties within types, or is hardneck a variety?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I just went online to Territorial seeds. Wow. There are many varieties!

It occurred to me that one of the reasons I planted mine last fall was because my nephew's wife told me she loved eating pickled garlic. By the time I had already planted them, she told me that the kind she buys at the farmers market (Ontario, Canada) was Music.

According to the farmer she asked, that's the best for pickling.

hockeymom519

What's the difference between hardneck and softneck? I've never grown garlic but am interested in trying this fall.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”