Arriga
Cool Member

Cayenne Peppers again

Well, I harvested most of my green Cayennes and placed them in the window to turn red. However, they seem to be softening. How can I get them to ripen fast. I would love to make tobasco sauce.

rkunsaw

When I pick green peppers they stay green.If you want tabasco sauce,grow tabasco peppers.We have been making our sauce for years.Cayennes are normally used for crushed peppers or red pepper powder,but I use tabasco for that too.

csvd87

Waiting for my Sweet Cayennes to grow, I had one started about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it got about 3 inches and stopped growing.. so I picked it to focus energy elsewhere, and that particular pepper just went soft and never attemepted to change colour, was very dissapointing, I just tossed it, hopefully the new ones will be better, intend on making a sweet version of Frank's Red Hot, but I have regular cayennes growing for regular hot sauce, but they are at least a month away, maybe more, gotta finish my grow shelf :)

microcollie
Green Thumb

I still think that ripening them in a bag with an apple, which emits ethylene gas, might speed things along. I'll go pick a couple green ones today and try it and keep you posted.

Arriga
Cool Member

I tried the apple thing and it didn't seem to work. Some peppers are turning on their own. I guess I will let the rest turn red on the plant whether they turn brown or not.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”