Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I think my potatoes had blight.

I planted potatoes a month ago and they were looking fine. Then they turned brown and died. I pulled up the vines and dug up the soil but no potatoes.

My tomatoes been looking pretty brown too I been water them with baking soda and so far so good they are still doing ok.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Same here with the potatoes. I just dug up the 5 pounds of butterfingers that I planted in spring and got about 3 pounds of mostly pea sized potatoes. Some were big enough. Nothing longer than my finger. The irish whites were dead a month ago. We dug them up and ate them in one meal. IDK...if I plant again, it'll have to be something fun and showy. Like purple sweet potatoes, or maybe the pink potatoes, or maybe the all blues. They were pretty much a novelty item in my garden. Just thought I would give em a try.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Me too! My first year growing potatoes and they got all blighted and died. There's one plant left that came up later and seems to still be doing ok...

TWC015

My potatoes all got early blight. However, mine did not die from it until close to harvest time, so I still got a good harvest.

I planted my potatoes in March and they got early blight after they flowered.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mine never flowered and seem to never do in the 2 years I have grown them. But same here blight got mine though I did have a somewhat decent harvest. At least we were able to eat fresh potatoes. I did replant in the same spot just to see if I could squeeze out a few more. In one bed they all rotted, I put some sweet potatoes in there yesterday from some slips I had growing. The other bed the potatoes are growing but slowly. We shall see if I get anything. It's worth a try to me.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”