William71

Is container soil reusable?

Ok, the newbie gardener here has another question. Once my plants in containers are done for the season, what do I do with the soil? Can it be reused next year, with the addition of compost and/or fertilizer? Or is it better to start out with totally new soil?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It can be used again. Add some amendments to keep its fertility up.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it somewhat depends on what you're growing. If it's a plant, like tomatoes, that are subject to soil bourn diseases and pests -- plants that it is recommended be planted in a different place every year -- then I think I would compost the old soil, or use it for plants that aren't in the same family.

Other than that, sure, just reuse it. I usually mix in a bit of new compost and some additional perlite, to improve drainage due to the addition of the compost, and then replant in it. I also usually add some organic fertilizer when I replant, but that isn't necessarily a requirement.

If your plants have been plagued by any kind of disease, you might want to add the used soil to your compost bin, so it can be renewed. I'm not saying that's required, it's just something I've done from time to time. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It can be reused as already stated. But I normally add mine to the garden or compost for the reasons Kisal stated. But I figure adding to the garden will only add that much more tilth if not nutrients to much needed area. Every little bit counts.

Than when potting time comes again I just use new soil. And the circle continues.

William71

Thanks, helpful gardeners! :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”