parker34

Rain Barrel question

Hello
I have a couple of rain barrels that I plan on using to water my vegitable garden with. Is there any concern with watering the vegetable plants with the water that runs off the shingles? With the tar and who knows what else shingles are made of would the bad stuff in shingles make the veggies toxic?
I wouldn't think it would hurt, but what do I know..

Thanks in advance!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've discussed this before with some of the other members, here. Although I did hear once that you shouldn't use it due to the toxicity facts that you mentioned, the source I heard it from was not the most reliable.

Also, we came to the determination that the toxicity (if any at all) would be so minute that it's not worth being concerned about. You should be fine.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did some looking into the topic and posted my findings here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117078&highlight=roof+water#117078

(about the middle of the page)

Net result, agree that it is not a problem. I've been using a rain barrel for about five years and just got my second one.

parker34

Thanks everyone for the input!

731greener101
Cool Member

I collect rain in barrels as well and have had no problems.I also collect the water created by the central air unit and have had no problems. Pro:water even without rain-con:having to empty containers.Must plan and build an easier system.Greener

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's something I posted last spring about that:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=117078&highlight=roof+water#117078

Summary would be for irrigating water (not drinking) there should be no problem with most roof types.

PS posted this in wrong thread.. it could be deleted

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Put some screen wire over the top of the eain barrels to keep misquitos out.

I like to leave off the screen wire and put a couple gold fish in the barrel. The fish eat all the misquito larvae.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Great idea! I wonder if they will eat algae as well??

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I wonder if a barley straw filter above the barrel would take care of your algae question.

Eric

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Halfway wrote:Great idea! I wonder if they will eat algae as well??
Algae grows in stagnant water. Use the water don't let it get stagnant.

Put a piece of scrap sheet rock in algae water it kills the algae.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ok, How about a floating filter. Take a small inner tube, center filled with barley. The water intering the barrel through the filter, filters out some of the nasties. The barley filter is floating in the water controling the algae.

Eric

Halfway
Green Thumb

I was thinking along the lines of algae forming along the water's edge and if that would create a pain in the @ss for cleaning?

I know using the water often would keep it somewhat agitated and slowing growth, but it doesn't take long for a band of algae to form.

I will check out the barley filter....never heard of it. Sounds cool.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Algae need sunshine. If your barrel is covered even with fairly dense screen it won't have enough light to grow algae. But then it won't work very well for goldfish either... but I don't think it's a real good environment for fish anyway... difficult to oxygenate.

johnphall
Newly Registered

Can a plastic container be used to collect rain water?

Thanks in advance....

Cheers

8)

Bovina_Beas

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know where to find cheap plastic barrels? A location in the south would be preferred to cut down on shipping.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Bovina_Beas wrote:Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know where to find cheap plastic barrels? A location in the south would be preferred to cut down on shipping.
check with food service places. All manner of foods come in 55 gallon food safe drums. Last year, our local plumbing supply was sellin them plumbed for 20 bucks. My particular container previously held gerkins from India...lol...

imafan26
Mod

I have algae in my barrels and it is hard to get it out since I did not cut the top of the barrel, I use a screen to keep the mosquitoes out and once in a while I put in Bt too. For the algae control, when it gets bad, I put bleach in the container to kill it. If I wait at least a couple of weeks the bleach dissipates.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”