sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

How do I get ready for next year?

This year I am battling lots and lots of different fungal things. fungal things on almost everything, so how do I crop rotate?! is there a way to get rid of the diseases in the soil? tomatoes, early blight... curcurbits, various fungal things powder or downy mildew, scab, and maybe a bacterial thing on the cucumbers. There aren't many areas left without something bad in it...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Many of the fungal conditions don't over winter in the soil, esp in a climate like maine. Good garden hygiene is key - get rid of all affected leaves and plant materials NOT in the compost. Don't leave any spent plants or garden wastes around. If it were me, once I pulled everything, I would spray the soil well with the milk solution and then mulch.

Next year rotate your crops, I.e. plant everything in different spots than they were this year.

I'd check with your neighbors, see if they are having the same troubles, see if you can figure out what happened. Has it been a rainy summer for you? Do you water in the evening? Have you had lots of insect pests? etc.

Next year try treating with the milk solution preventatively, before you see any sign of fungal conditions.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

It really hasn't been a wet summer.. but it has been VERY humid. I didn't realize that last year it was scab on the squash as well, so I bet that overwintered. hmm yeah, I think I put them in the same place, shoot.

I water mostly in the mornings and sometimes in the evenings. I do a drip system so they aren't getting water on their leaves. I put down straw too. but there are places where it isn't covering 100%..

vermontkingdom

Last year I had considerable trouble with both early blight on tomatoes and mildew on cukes and squash. This year, at this point, I have no problems. For the most part, everything is growing where it grew last year and for many years before and it's the best garden I've had over the last 35 years at this location. I converted my garden into 22 raised beds and used lots of home grown compost to cover everything and for the first time in more than 25 years, I DID NOT rototile. It hasn't been nearly as rainy as it was last year, so maybe that's the reason. However, it might be all that compost, and not bringing up old contaminated soil, has been responsible for keeping the spores away from the plants. I've also had no problems at all with some old combatants, cuke beetles and squash bugs so the gardening experience has been quite delightful this year.

However, I'm probably jinxing myself with this post and by the end of week will regret having sent it.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

LOL! that is what usually happens though, isn't it? LOL! Hopefully you won't get bugs or disease...

well, I also have had issues with cucumber beetles this year which I've NEVER had before. My neighbor down the road always has the issue but last time I had talked with her she hadn't seen any! I said its because they're all at MY house! :lol: seriously though, I'm getting hit with everything this year, it just figures since my garden is doing really great for once. Just can't win it seems like!

applestar
Mod

I believe that your garden is in transition. Yes, you are seeing a lot of pest bugs, but maybe you're not noticing the beneficial insects that are also finding your garden hospitable. Then the birds will arrive to enjoy the bounty. Pretty soon, the pests will be history (or at least manageable).

That is the theory, and even though you really have to take it on faith (refrain from reaching for that spray, etc.), so far, I do believe my garden is rising to the challenge and showing me what it can do. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Some problems may also be attributed to the environment, not only your garden.

For example, the humid weather you had is probably the culprit with some of your diseases. Yes, they may already have been present in the soil, but the high humidity is what helps them to flourish and look worse than usual.

Planting a cover-crop is another great way to prepare your garden for next year.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I believe that your garden is in transition. Yes, you are seeing a lot of pest bugs, but maybe you're not noticing the beneficial insects that are also finding your garden hospitable. Then the birds will arrive to enjoy the bounty. Pretty soon, the pests will be history (or at least manageable).

That is the theory, and even though you really have to take it on faith (refrain from reaching for that spray, etc.), so far, I do believe my garden is rising to the challenge and showing me what it can do. :D
I have yet to see a single bird anywhere near my garden ever. I've been gardening for 5 years here and never seen one! and I have blueberry bushes and they don't go near those!! can you believe that? I wonder why....?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

put up bird feeders and a bird bath! They will come.

It also helps to leave some areas a bit wild with trees and shrubs for cover. A good brush pile helps too.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

we live in the woods............. LOL!!!

there are plenty of blue jays and robins and chickadees. who knows why they don't come! but at least I don't have to worry about my blueberries!

kgall

It seemed like I had every pest known to gardeners last year and this year I haven't had near as many, I haven't gotten by unscathed mind you, but the destruction (by insects) has been minimal.
The difference this year I think is the birds are in my garden constantly! They even sit on the guardrail watching me while I work in it and return to it as I walk away. I also have some good sized frogs! I like to think of them as my garden partners.
And they say you can't get good help these days! :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

If you don't already make your own compost, start now. Compost encourages beneficial soil organisms which will combat subsurface fungi. It helps strike a balance between bacteria and fungi which is helpful to the plants.

More info (MUCH MUCH more) in Teaming with Microbes. For an introduction to how much more info, take a look at THG's Book Club discussion of this book.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I am doing vermicomposting. I couldn't do a regular bin because the skunks etc kept running off with it... geesh. and I can't afford one of those fancy bins...

will that be ok? I just won't have enough to spread throughout the whole garden though. vermicomposting is slowgoing!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”