RuHappy69

String beans???

Hello all, I have mad string beans climbing up my trellis. Lots of flowers but no beans. I've see 2 maybe 3 tops. Weird because they are quite prolific. Any reasoning?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Did this ever straighten itself out? Do you have beans developing yet?

Are you in one of the (many!) places that has had super hot weather this summer? A number of people have written in here saying their beans are having trouble with the weather.

Blossom drop is when blossoms drop off without setting fruit. It can happen to any vegetable and is a stress reaction. The plant quits trying to produce seeds to focus on survival. High temps, especially very high temps (above 95) can cause this in beans, and/or under watering. To survive really hot weather, they need lots of water.

"Green beans are particularly susceptible to blossom drop under water stress, causing a split set. Recommended application on loams to silt loam soils would be 1 ¼ inches of water per week unless rainfall supplies that amount. For sandy soils, more frequent application with lesser amounts at each application are necessary." https://www.public.iastate.edu/~taber/Extension/Green%20Beans.pdf

RuHappy69

The plants are thriving, leaves and vines everywhere but so far I have only picked 3 beans. Too hot maybe? They get watered often enough so I'm clueless...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Same thing happened to me here in La. I did have an early harvest but then nothing but real healthy vines, some flowering but no more beans. I decided a few weeks ago to pull the plants off the trellis and put in some new seeds for harvest in Sept. instead of chancing the ones I had would start producing again. So far the plants are thriving and starting to climb but way too early for beans. I'm sure my second crop will be fine.

Anna63

In my opinion the main problem is heat and tempereature. Try to water your beens more.
Good luck! :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Also, it sounds like you are growing pole beans. These typically take longer to mature then bush beans and, as a generality, tend to bear fruit more over the long-term whereas bush beans tend to have a hard flush of beans, but then let up.

It also sounds like you have a lot of nitrogen. Have you used any fertilizer?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”