FruitAddict
Cool Member

Which plants would you save from your garden?

It rained and Hailed here this morning. I ran to the garden to put buckets over some of my plants.

Which got me to wondering - which of your plants would you try to save if you could?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Oddly enough, I had to make that choice the other day. We had a storm that brought with it a full 2" accumulation of small hail. I saved the bananas, the Dieffenbachia, all of my third-cycle roma tomato starts, and a pot of peppers. I lost my giant unknown gourd (it was way too big to protect), but oddly enough my strawberry tomatoes (10' tall) and tree tomatoes (5' tall) weathered it without losing a single leaf.

soil
Greener Thumb

I leave them be when storms hit. natural selection, whatever lives becomes a seed plant.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I'm with soil, survival of the fittest.

But if I was to save something that would be my tomatoes, but some of them are over 7 feet tall so covering is not quite an option.

So back to survival of the fittest.

We had a hard core storm roll through this morning. No problems whatsoever int he garden. My neighbor lost a piece of his metal soffit on his garage, a bunch of stuff in my backyard was relocated but all the plants are good to go.

I guess my plants are the fittest since they survived. :wink:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”