LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

onion seed collection

Just pulled and cured my onions today. and I took the pom-poms off of some of the ones that went to seed. I would like to keep them to plant them for next year's plantings.

Is there a specific method that I can use to extract the seeds from the little green pods?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I like to leave the flower on the plant and let it stay in the ground until the seed is ripe and the seed is ready to fall. You can take a paper bag and just shake the seed into the bag.

Otherwise, just put them in a cardboard box to dry up.

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Reinforcing what jal-ut said, I left mine in the ground last year until the flowers finally looked dry. The seeds didn't germinate this year, so I think I need to wait even longer next time.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Agree with the above, let 'em stand. They will dry out on their own and be way easier to harvest.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Well, definitely too late to leave them in the ground. But I will let them dry more before I start deseeding!

Thank You!

soil
Greener Thumb

try digging one up and putting it in a pot. we had a gopher eat one that was going to seed, it fell over. I stuck it in a pot and so far the seeds are maturing even without a root system or a bulb. once its in the pot you can get it out of your beds and let it take its time to finish making seed. I have saved my own onion seed a few years now. nice giant onions as long as you collect seed from the best plants.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”