BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Scarlet Runner Beans

My Scarlet runner beans have started to climb a little after planting at the start of May. So there is something wrong. Anyway they are flowering like crazy for the past month by I see no beans forming? None. They look kind of wind burned from the wind and the heat. They are trying to climb but the strong south wind always blows them down off the trellis. Any tips for growing these beans? They must not grow here well I guess. Do they have trouble growing when its upper 80's and 90's?

applestar
Mod

Scarlet runners have always been a slow grower for me. Initially, they need to establish their root system, I would guess. Stick with pencil thin not much more than a Sharpie marker thick support. Twine them around initially until they get the idea. I grab long grass to tie them on to the support.

Once they start to bloom, in my garden, the hummingbirds will visit constantly, but no all flowers turn into pods -- definitely not like edible pole beans. But they keep producing until frost kills them, so as long as I get a handful of carryover mature beans to plant again, I'm good. Usually I reserve any young beans that are starting to plump that I can spare for the kids to eat because they say that the Scarlet Runners are the tastiest.

Mine are about 8 feet now and just starting to bud. I don't expect them to reach their full stride until August.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The excessive heat you have been having may also be contributing to the low fruit-setting rate.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My Kentucky Wonder pole beans had a great beginning, set a lot of beans early in the summer then started growing like crazy with lots of vines but no produce. I figured it was the excessive heat keeping them from making more beans so I pulled them and replanted about 10 days ago for an early fall harvest and hopefully they will carry over till it gets too cool for them.

I also put in some Japanese yard-long beans that produced like crazy late last summer. They are a real conversation piece since I generally let them get between 18-24 inches long before picking them. It's a kick seeing dinner guests faces when I tell them I'll serve them 3-4 beans with their meal and put these on their plate.

microcollie
Green Thumb

This may be a crazy idea, but do beans always wind the same direction aroung their trellis? I know my morning glories are always going clockwise, (as viewed from the ground up) so when I need to help them, I make sure to wind the correct direction. It may help them hold better to their support. I have a hyacinth bean that's also going clockwise. (Just ran out and checked!)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure if all vines wind in the same direction. Maybe it's like toilet water, depends on witch hemisphere you are in. :)

I have read that beans require a rough surface to climb up. It apparently tickles the hairs on the vine to stimulate growth. I've always use rough natural jute twine. Just throw it all into the compost at the end of the season. :wink:

My Scarlet Runner beans seem to be doing well. No extreme heat or winds here. We did reach mid 80's about two weeks ago and they are forcasting low 80's this week.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02443.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02445.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC02449.jpg[/img]

brianskilton,
Maybe you have to plant earlier or later. Harvest in the Spring or Fall, not in the heat of the Summer. :idea:

nes
Green Thumb

My scarlets always set their flowers and then drop them and start growing beans all at once.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”