BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

This heat is getting very bad...

Its 95 today (weather.com says it feels like 104). I'm getting tried of this heat, its been like this most of the summer and things are struggling. I may have to get up at 4:30 5:00 just to water, then water again in the evening. Its in the upper 80's in the morning so. We still haven't got any rain during the day since I can remember (since those thunderstorms I guess), that was a looong time ago. We need some rain! During the day...

Anyone else fighting this heat....and what are you doing to help your garden out?

Lunacy
Cool Member

It's very hot in Los Angeles this week. I'm trying hard to keep my garden alive but I'm losing a lot of leaves and small plants. It has been basically around one hundred all week.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sorry. Its 88 here today and relative humidity 19%.

sassyjvg

It is drought season here too in the Midwest. Every time I go out to check on something in the garden, I get blinded by my beads of sweat, exhausted from the thick humidity which accompanies it, and as of lately, my garden's been getting the short end of the stick(weeds are waging war & winning). -helpsos- I won't even begin about the stress my veggies are experiencing.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Brian, I fear I may have bad news for you. A heat wave of sorts began here yesterday, with a high of 95. I don't know what our humidity is, but it's generally quite low compared to East-River SD, so 95 isn't that big a hardship out here. Anyhow, the heat is slated to last for two more days. Hope it slips north or south of you!

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

Yeah, its not the dry type heat here, its the in your face make you sweat the minute you walk out the door kind of heat. Humidity usually at 90%. I took the camera outside and I have a uv filter on it and the whole thing fogged in the sec I walked outside. That means strong storms will be on the way, and I see a few super cells coming our way...hey at least we may get some rain...heck, maybe a little hail in the mix too...with a side order of strong wind...

ahh, what can you do, just not a good year for gardening here, I'm lucky compared to some out here...

I hope so Stella...you said you use to live here right? How's Wyoming, you like it better down there? It is the least populated state, so thats got to be nice.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Brian, I miss SD, but I prefer Wyoming, especially now that I'm considerably older than I was back then. SD is a state for the young and healthy, if you are at all into an outdoor lifestyle.

I remember putting up three flat-racks of hay, by myself, in 100+ heat with humidity of 80%. I remember sitting in the barn with one of my dogs, watching funnel clouds descend and rise, but the hail was large enough to kill, so I couldn't make it back to the house.

Here's a good one: When I was living in SD, someone told me (or I read it), that you could tell when an electrical storm was coming because the mosquitoes became downright vicious. It's true. The next time you walk outside and are mugged by a cloud of violent mosquito thugs, watch and wait. A serious thunder popper is on its way.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

been like this for a month or more here in South Carolina. FINALLY got some rain yesterday (Twice actually) but it's not looking good for the next 10 days. I was irrigating, but the day after I bought the soaker hoses, we were notified of water restrictions :evil: It's sprinkling a little now but nothing measureable.

This summer's weathr is some of the worst I've seen...Makes me long for the PA gardening again. :roll:

Hispoptart

Wish I could complain about the heat, but it's only been about a week in the mid 90's here. Seems hotter then it is to me, but that just cause I'm a weeny when it comes to heat or cold.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Sorry. Its 88 here today and relative humidity 19%.
Must be nice that is like the morning temp around here last week with humidity up to 98% in the morning. :x It has been rough.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I had a few hot days with high humidity, but the humidity and average temperature is lowering and there may even be some storms coming!

rkunsaw

This time of year around here the heat and humidity have a race to see which can get the highest. :cry: Unfortunately it's usually a pretty close race.Of course when the temps get over 100 they win 'cause the humidity can't go that high. :roll:

soil
Greener Thumb

its 103 where I am right now, and we are only watering once a day or even every other day. how are you watering and for how long.

lorax
Greener Thumb

It goes up to about 110-120 every day here, with rain at night and roughly 30% humidity. I cope by waiting for the shade to cycle into the garden before I do anything, and gardening with a mojito in hand. This said, I live in an adobe house and it's nice and cool indoors, and for my container plants I often move them indoors for the peak of the heat so that they don't go all wilty on me.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

I am watering everyday, but am really considering water twice or even three times a day, because it seems an hour after I water it is dry already.

lorax
Greener Thumb

When I lived on the northern tip of the Atacama Desert, I watered 3 times a day - dawn, noon, and dusk. Even so, I lost plants. Maybe look at barkmulching the base of your plants - that way the sun can't rob as much moisture.

It's hot here, but not as hot as that house in the Atacama was - we saw 150 a couple of times (and I never want to see that temp ever again.)

MaryDel

It's so hot here on DelMarVa that I don't even want to go flounder fishing :shock: My wife expressed serious concern the last two mornings

We had near record cold last winter, now near record heat this summer. I for one am sick of the heat.......the dog days of summer are here. At least it's raining now :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It has been hot, humid and no rain here for a month too. I wish I could invent a way to store up some of that cold winter weather so I can release some of it in the summer.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Supposed to be 98-105 here the next 10 days or so. If it wasn't for gardening there would be no useful purpose for summer! :lol:

I got home today and the squashes were looking very sad, I almost thought the squash bugs were here, nope, just the heat.

I use drip irrigation and have mulched heavily with cotton boll compost it's helping somewhat.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

We get a two-day break from the heat beginning today. Hurray! Yesterday it was 95, which isn't all that hot compared to what everyone else is getting, but we must have had some humidity, 'cause it was terrifically uncomfortable.

TWC015

The heat around my area has been here since mid-May, with almost all days above 90, and many 95 and higher. The humidity is also here, of course.

It has been mostly dry around here. I finally got a good rain last week.

I water my plants about once every 1 to 1.5 weeks (not regularly though). The peppers are watered the most frequently and I don't water the watermelons.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”