LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

it RAINED!

TWICE!!!! In ONE DAY!!!

Hope...REALLY hope the tomatoes don't crack....

Oh thank goodness it rained!

TWICE :() :() :()

hit or miss
Green Thumb

God's gift to gardeners! We had an inch Wednesday night.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

We had drought in June.
But we have had rain for 9/16 days in July, and one rain was actually 2 inches, most have been less.
Yesterday, a bright sunny day, and it was pouring down rain.
No thunder or anything, blue sky, big fluffy white clouds, and raining!
Today we got almost 1/2".
The garden likes it, and I get out of watering.
But bugs are getting ahead of me! :cry: I picked off alot of worms today.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Squashbugs, squashbugs, squashbugs, squashbugs, squashbug eggs, squashbug nymphs, and more squashbugs. It's a continuous battle, and I believe they are getting the upper hand :evil: :evil: :evil: . I think they got their toehold during the drought and the water restrictions. We were unable to water for about a week. Water is my ammunition of choice against squashbugs. It really brings them to the surface. They come running out of the woodworks. Then I drown them in soap water. DH just squishes them where he finds them on the leaves and then he just leaves them there as a trophy I guess. HAHA or maybe a warning :twisted:

Not too many worms here. One or two here and there. I have lots of cat birds and robins inspecting though. :D

First time it's rained at my house in way over a month! I almost cied I was so happy. It's amazing how attatched we can get to out gardens. I know it's gonna die eventually, but not before I get all that I can out of it first.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Though I try to prevent it, I don't worry too much about tomatoes cracking. They taste good either way.

FruitAddict
Cool Member

I've got the opposite problem here in Oshkosh WI... My garden is in the low spot of my yard. On Wednesday we recieved 4" of rain in less than 7 hours here and then to top it off we've had a very wet year... I planted my garden late because it was always to wet to work and it has just kept raining and raining... for 2010 we've had over 20" of rain here when our yearly average is somewhere around 12".

I was so excited because it's been warmer than usual here too and everything is growning great (especially the weeds) but now I find a lot in my garden not doing well... bean and tomatoes are turning yellow from the bottom up, pepper plants are dropping - My sqaush plants have all but drowned already. It has been a great year for my fruit trees and blueberry bushes I put in this spring they seem to be thriving with all the moisture.

I've got to say Thank goodness for my potted garden this year... as usual I went way crazy with the Veggies and tried Container gardening this year because I ran out room in the garden and the potted plants are looking much better than my garden. I'm about to pick my first potted Tomatoe ever... If I manage to get it before the dogs help themselves.

applestar
Mod

FA, it sounds like you may need to rethink your garden.
Have you seen this thread? https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21761

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I garden on the side of a hill with about a 6" drop in 4 feet, whatever incline that would be! So, I have to use raised beds, or my veggies tumble down the hill. The two advantages, clay soil holds the moisture, and it never gets muddy! Last year we had too much rain, late in the season and it was hard on all my beds.

I did the same thing on filling up every spare inch of space, and still had plants to transplant, so I once again tried container gardening. I have 54 baby tomatoes in varying sizes on those tomato plants. How odd, I normally kill all plants in containers! I even did alot of no-till and still have plants, so I gave a bunch away, and still have plants. I am going to seriously get them, given away or planted this week... but where?

Speaking of season soon being over, I found a book that I am going to order:
Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
I want to learn to have fresh vegetables at home every day of the year! Sounds intriguing to me. I found it at Amazon books.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”