sweet thunder

Pole beans crowded?

My Malibu pole beans are taking off much faster than my Blue Lake pole beans. They are planted in similar conditions at the base of a few bamboo tripods.

One difference is that the Blue Lake beans had two seedlings per cell in the six-pack I bought, so I planted them as is. The Malibu had just one seedling per cell. Are the Blue Lakes slower because they're competing too much with each other? Should I snip off one seedling at each pole, or just be patient?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would feed them and water them and be patient. They will be fine.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

My violetto pole beans are about 5' tall now. The package said to plant six around the base of each pole, but I wanted to use up the seeds, so I planted eight around each of six upright poles. All seeds but one germinated, and they are now lush, healthy plants. They haven't started to flower yet, but they are a 75-day bean, and it's only day 40 since they germinated. They have time.

I think Jal_Ut's right: patience is the key. Mine didn't start to climb the poles until the plants were about three weeks old, but once they did, they really went to town! The tallest ones have reached 5.5' and are only a foot away from growing off the pole :-)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

My beans took a few weeks to start taking off as well. The pack said to thin to 1 ft. apart, but I sowed them 6 in. apart.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”