Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Weed killer in garden

AAWWKKK

I need some advice soon. I thought this topic heading would attract attention.

Nope, I'm not using Round Up in my organic garden.

I pulled up all of my corn to prep for planting pink eyes. The last month before we harvested corn, it was too hot and we decided dying in the corn field over weeds wasn't worth it.

As a result we have an abundance of very healthy grass and weeds carpeting the empty corn field.

I have successfully killed unwanted vegetation with vinegar. Here's the question. If I zap the weeds with vinegar before I till for peas, will it help prevent the return of the weeds?

Will it hurt the pink eyes if I plant seeds a few days later?

Bad idea? Good idea?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Well, I don't know the answer about vinegar as a pre-emergent. If it keeps weeds from sprouting, one would think it would also keep the peas from sprouting.

Rototilling will also kill the surface weeds, but will introduce thousands of more weed seeds to the surface. Your soil is full of seed.

I would use a heavy layer of mulch between the rows.

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Thanks DDF. I'm for dogs by the way.

I've only used vinegar to kill unwanted grass and weeds. I do not know what the effect is on seeds either. My crops seem to do fine if I weed up until a month or so before harvest.

I saw JAL Ut's garden and I got embarrassed about my weeds. I'm too geezerfied and it's just too darn hot to weed.

If nobody knows the answer, I'll just plow and make my wife weed.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I think the vinegar just kills the leaves and wouldn't be expected to have much effect on seeds or on roots in the soil. It shouldn't hurt the seeds you plant in it later, but you will have lots of weeds.

One alternative if your area isn't too big is just to lay down a bunch of cardboard (and/or many layers of newspaper) on top of the grass and weeds, watering well before and after you do that. Then put down dirt (soil, compost, potting soil, etc), water and plant into that. Once the seeds have sprouted mulch well. The cardboard will smother the grass and weeds and then it will eventually disintegrate.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Fire up the weedeater! Mow it down and mulch heavily then plant into the mulch. You'll only have to weed some occasional escapees.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I have blown through my cooked compost and used up the newspaper.

I mowed and tilled. Maybe it will cool off and I will be able to weed. On the upside, pink eyes usually out grow the weeds.

Thanks all.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I like the idea of just tilling, and mulching heavily between rows. Plus, as the mulch breaks down, it will feed your soil.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”