GardenJester

I love chopped scape omelets. I guess I should plant the cloves in the fall and let it winter in the ground.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I tried making the pesto, and didn't like it because....... it tasted like pesto. The rest were sauteed and eaten as green bean substitutes. Nothing better!

applestar
Mod

I ordered my Music -- not Melody :> -- seed cloves for fall planting. :D
Am also getting Elephant Garlic. Hopefully will not keep bats that I'm trying to attract to live in the bat house away.... :P

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It is an urban myth, old wives tale, etc. that vampyres can turn into bats. No scientific proof at all, so just because the garlic works for vampyres does not mean it will drive off your bats. SHEESH :roll:

applestar
Mod

:> :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hopefully will not keep bats that I'm trying to attract to live in the bat house away....
Well if you have a short hair style, they can echo off your head and keep them away. If you have long loose hair, look out, you may have bats moving in. :> :D

sweet thunder

I used to grow Music when I lived in New York. I loved it! Always did beautifully, stored well.

This was my first year growing garlic in California. I grew Inchelium Red and Red Toch (had to switch to softnecks for this climate) and they did better than I expected, considering they get a decent amount of shade. The problem is I can't seem to remember which is which! I thought I wrote it down, but I didn't, and they look really similar. I'm going to try a taste test. Anyone familiar with these two have any advice on telling them apart?

As for curing, I've never washed bulbs. I hang them somewhere shady and breezy, under cover if there's a threat of rain, and when they're dry I trim the roots and maybe peel off the outer layer if I think I can spare one.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

As for curing, I've never washed bulbs. I hang them somewhere shady and breezy, under cover if there's a threat of rain, and when they're dry I trim the roots and maybe peel off the outer layer if I think I can spare one.
I do pretty much the same. Use my Felco pruners, cut the tops and roots right off.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”