microcollie
Green Thumb

Ornamental Okra?

I recently visited a vegetable garden and was enthralled by some okra plants. I had no idea that okra came from a hibiscus relative. I can't say that I'm a big fan of okra, but I'm interested in growing it next year as an ornamental. Does anyone know if this is a crazy idea? Did I just happen upon it on a good day (some vegetable plants aren't exactly known for their good looks) Will it do well in a container? Any info is welcome.

Thanks!!

applestar
Mod

Aren't the okra flowers beautiful? They look like hibiscus -- very ornamental. :D

Check these out:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=142521#142521
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84204#84204

I'm REALLY disappointed I couldn't get the Burgundy Red Okra to grow this year. :( It had yellow hibiscus-like flowers. BEAUTIFUL! :D

Definitely trying again next year. :wink:

hit or miss
Green Thumb

I read somewhere this weekend that you should let the first pod on each plant go to seed to avoid cross-pollination with other okra in the area.

Pickled okra is the bomb!

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Pickled okra is the bomb!
My personal FAVORITE pickle :()

I think they are absolutely beautiful. and the burgundy ones, I am definitely gonna try them next year. I was looking for them this year as a late summer addition, but I think any addition would be a bad idea for me right now with the weather...but definitely next year.

You won't have any trouble giving that okra away! It's beautiful, forgiving, prolific, and tasty, IMO! (especially when fried southern style :::sigh :D ::: OR in pickle form :::Double sigh ;) :::) I would really consider trying it!

csvd87

Kinda why I will grow Borage next year, I'm sure I will find uses for it (teas and salads, garnishes) but it looks nice and it attracts the bees :) Although... Okra would probably go really well with my Szechuan Beans... yummy

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Ornamental okra? Does that mean I have to wear a party hat when I eat them? We have cute little hats for eating fiesta peppers. Will they work?

We plant enough okra to eat every summer night and freeze enough to eat it two or three times a week year around.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

YUM!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”