Liska

Seed Shopping?

okay, so I'm prepping for next years garden, found an online seed store, and now I'm fairly addicited at trying these different varities of tomatoes and peppers! Before I fill up a cart of seeds and order them, I thought I'd ask the experts here. Where do you buy your seeds, aside from saving them from plants you've grown in the previous years? Next year will be my first attempt to grow any plants from seed, but I can't imagine doing anything differently right now. Is best to go with a well known place, like home depot, burpee, bonnie, etc. or are independent stores the way to go?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Most of the seed comes from the same places,....wholesale seed farmers. Some of the heirloom places grow some of their own seed, but the hybrids are owned by big or bigger Ag companies that sell to the seed sellers.

I would not buy any high priced seed at this time of year because it will be old. Getting leftovers at teh local sore on sale is another matter. Many places don't send out catalogs until fall-early winter when they get the new seeds in.

Look for the best prices on the internet rather than name recognition.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

The question for me, is probably, where have I not bought seeds from. I have purchased seeds from many different sources, both online and local. I don't recall any places, as of yet, that I have been really dissapointed with.
One tip I would give about online ordering; check the shipping costs. There have been a few times when I felt that a vendor charged way too much for shipping.

Currently, one of my favorite suppliers is Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

liska,

This post started 5 days ago. Take a look.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27830

Eric

microcollie
Green Thumb

My two favorites are Jhonny's and Fedco (both organic and both very helpful) The Fedco catalog is worth reading even if you don't buy anything! But I would wait for the 2011 seeds to come on the market. Why take a chance with old seed?

Liska

Thank you everyone for your input! :D
DoubleDogFarm wrote:liska,

This post started 5 days ago. Take a look.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27830

Eric
My bad, totally! I did a forum search and I saw that thread, but it must've gone right over my head at the time. Informative posts in both! :)

csvd87

I don't know if anyone else has used them but Trade Winds Fruit has free shipping with orders of $7.50 or more to the US, and only $1.00 shipping to me in Canada. However their prices are a little steep

[url]https://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/servlet/the-Vegetables/Categories[/url]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”