technical76
Newly Registered

Pea Identification

Do any of you know what kind of peas these are? I found them in a neglected part of my garden, and I don't remember planting any peas. They have white flowers..... maybe snow peas? Thanx in advance for your help. :D

[url]https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/martyt76/pea1.jpg?1278875070[/url]

[url]https://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p69/martyt76/pea2.jpg?1278875129[/url]

applestar
Mod

These are pods of a mustard family plant that have gone to seed -- maybe radish?

technical76
Newly Registered

aahhh.... that makes sense. there were radishes there earlier this year. thanx.

applestar
Mod

Unless you were growing several different varieties that may have cross pollinated, or hybrids, you could let these mature and dry, then collect the seeds, dry them thoroughly, and plant them either when the weather starts cooling down or next spring.

You could try growing them even if they are hybrid offsprings, but then what kind of radish -- flavor, color, etc. -- will be anybody's guess. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I vote for radish. The green pods are edible too. Yes, you could let them go for the seed.

technical76
Newly Registered

they were scarlet globes.... there are a LOT of pods out there, so I think I'll bring some to seed and use some on salads and stir fry. they are only an inch and a quarter long.... I read somewhere that you want to eat 'em when there 2-2.5 inches.... I tried one earlier and it wasnt very good.

SarahSarah
Cool Member

I agree. They look just like the radish pods that I have in my garden right now :-)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I think there are a few varieties grown just for edible seed pods, but most of the root radishes I have seen don't usually have seed pods that get 2.5 inches long, so I wouldn't wait to eat them. The flavor is there in the smaller ones too.

I used to hike a fire road in Palos Verdes, Los Angeles, overlooking the ocean. The area was abandoned because the ground was geologicaly unstable. The whole place was overgrown with escaped plants: fennel, mustard and radishes. I could pick radish pods while I hiked.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”