jkrochmal
Newly Registered

Help identifying squash volunteer plant

I let a volunteer plant grow in one of my gardens thinking it was a pumpkin plant but it is not. It looks like some type of squash but I don't know what type it is. Can you please help me identify it?

Thanks!!
[img]https://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/jkrochmal/IMG_0457.jpg[/img]
[/img]

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

Maybe a spaghetti squash? I have one growing that looks just like that.

My volunteer squash this year was a yellow summer squash. I could have sworn I planted either a Burpee's greyzini or a Burpee's hybrid squash.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Volunteer squash plants are mostly hybrids if there were more than one variety within a quarter mile. They will be squash, but they won't be true to type. Just wait and see what you get.

[img]https://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/jkrochmal/IMG_0457.jpg[/img]
I am trying to fix your link. See if this works. It does look kinda like a spaghetti squash.
Last edited by jal_ut on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

Maybe you'll find a new really tasty variety and want to save the seeds. :lol:

In reality don't be surprised if they do turn out a little stringy like a spaghetti squash. It looks like one may have been one of the "parents". There's always the chance it could also be some kind of gourd.
A couple years ago I planted what I thought to be a butternut squash. It turned out to be a carnival squash. They tasted pretty good and looked pretty, I thought. Growing a "mystery squash" can be kind of fun. I'm curious to know what you get when it ripens.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

FieldofFlowers wrote:Maybe you'll find a new really tasty variety and want to save the seeds. :lol:
The only trouble with that is it will be a hybrid plant, which means if you save the seed, you will not get the same squash.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”