Greenmaze
Newly Registered

Broccoli done?

I tried growing broccoli for the first time this year, and I think I got it in too late. I live in zone 5B if it helps. As you can see from the picture, the plants are very big, but they've yet to produce any heads. I think two of the plants are in the process of bolting as they've sprouted long stalks in the middle that look like flowering buds. If they're "done," I'd like to take them out and try planting some other stuff.

[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_Jp0ZwID3t9I/TDKGiRh6SdI/AAAAAAAAEGA/w4HZyQfbxlU/s512/P1010906.JPG[/img]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's been a very wierd season for stuff like this; my Black Seeded Simpson lettuce bolted almost immediately after planting. The hot weather has set most of my stuff ahead of schedule...

I would see what becomes of those flowers, but I suspect you are right and it has gone by already :(

HG

sassyjvg

Green Maze, I am in zone 6 in St. Louis and this is my first time growing broccoli too. This is how mine is turning out and I am wondering if it is done for too![img]https://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sassyjvg/Gardening%20Majic%20My%20First%20Garden/Broccoli2-1.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sassyjvg/Gardening%20Majic%20My%20First%20Garden/Broccoli3.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

sassy - yes, that is past done. Ideally you want to pick it before you see ANY yellow flowers, as soon as the buds start separating at all. Cut the head off where it joins the stalk and it may produce smaller side heads. (Would produce them if it were earlier in the season and cooler; broccoli doesn't love hot weather.)

applestar
Mod

Greenmaze, I see the onnes in the back left and on the right close to the onions that have the elongated blown buds. Those two would be considered done, but if the others haven't budded yet, they are, I think, poised to do so and may when the weather turn cooler. Providing shade to carry them through the hot summer might help too. So they're not total loss, you could pick the buds when they are still tightly closed, regardless of their size (we're conditioned to think big green broccoli heads are what they should look like because that's what we see in stores)?

Sassyjvg, I think they do turn bitter when the flowers start opening up, thou gh I admit I would still pick that and eat it. :wink: If it taste strong, use in mixed dishes like Chinese stir fry or in Pasta sauce.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Helpful Gardener wrote:It's been a very wierd season for stuff like this; my Black Seeded Simpson lettuce bolted almost immediately after planting. The hot weather has set most of my stuff ahead of schedule...

I would see what becomes of those flowers, but I suspect you are right and it has gone by already :(

HG
I had the same trouble with my radishes. I planted the end of April and in the first few days of May, we has a warm streak. Most of my radishes bolted so the bulbs were either small or non-existent.

However, my neighbor planted radishes later than me and, despite several warm spells, got a fairly nice harvest.

I guess there are stages in a plant's development in which temperature has more of an effect on the plant's likelihood to bolt.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”