gaberdeen

What time of day should I water?

I installed a drip irrigation system in my small garden this year and am wondering what is the recommended time to turn it on. I want to try to avoid fungal diseases if at all possible and vaguely remember hearing that watering at night or late evening increases the risk. any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary :D
sounded like a good idea at the time.

kgall

I water in the early morning before the sun gets too intense. I have soaker hoses but they do tend to spray a bit and I haven't seen any damage yet related to the water/sun.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Yes, I vote for early morning watering too.

GardenJester

early morning, give your plants a good drink before the sun hits them. You can also water in the evening, but you should avoid getting the plant wet over night, to cut down on possible fungus problem.

BP

I just put a soaker hose in my melon garden today. It doesn't spray, just beads water. I was trying to hand water the plants, but with the recent heat, I had to resort to a sprinkler and I was watering in the evening. I notices the lower leaves (especially honeydew) did not like it. Read about the fungal and all and I think the soaker hose will help a lot. I work mostly 2nd shift so I'm sleeping early mornings and have to water in the evening.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I like to water in the morning before the sun gets good and high in the sky. The squashbugs respond much more actively and come to the tops of the plants quickly :twisted: Which makes hand picking SUPER efficient(especially when they are procreating) :twisted: :twisted: I actually have to water in the evening also but if I had to choose one, I would choose AM. :roll:
"The conspicuous consumption of limited resources has yet to be accepted widely as a spiritual error, or even bad manners." ~Barbara Kingsolver

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=533347321

gaberdeen

Thanks for all the replies. Of coarse I watered last night and this morning it's pouring. Not a bad thing though, because we really needed the rain here. :D
sounded like a good idea at the time.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”