jakruchten
Newly Registered

Seed: Where?

Quick question for people-this year was my first garden ever. I grew zukes, cukes, tomatoes, and peppers, along with some leaves, and seeds were easy to come by. I want to go all out next year, but seeds are expensive! Other than some specialty seeds that I'll need to order from places like Seed Savers, where do people who do this every year get seeds? There was a burpee stand at my home depot that was on sale so I grabbed a bunch and packed them in rice to last the winter...but there are still more that I need. Advice?

TWC015

My favorite for vegetables is Fedco Co-op in Maine. Their prices are good and shipping is free if you order at least $30.

I just received some seeds from Willhite Seed in Texas. Their prices are also reasonable.

Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is good for those seeds, and I like Pinetree for some specialty items.

I've gotten some general stuff from the seed racks at retail stores and a local store for other common types.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Saving seeds from nonhybrid (open pollinated) varieties and then tradeing them on forums is the easiest way to get a greater variety. There are a few websites with good prices but you have to hunt for them. Locally you should be able to find specials on alot of things. Lettuce and a few other things don't last for more than a year or so but seeds of most things keep for many years at room temp and humidity.

rkunsaw

Most seeds are good for more than one year so you can save a lot buying them after the season to save for next year. For seeds you can't find that way, I try to find a catalog that has all the varieties I want and order from a single source to save shipping cost. This year I ordered from Jungs, but I have ordered from many sources over the years and never had a problem with any.Sign up for a catalog or two and soon you'll be flooded with them. :wink:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Look for local nurseries and garden stores (not big box stores). Sometimes these stores will buy seed in bulk and price it very reasonable.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I start lots of stuff from seed every year. I agree that most seeds will stay viable up to five years, especially if kept in paper (NOT plastic) in the frig or freezer. So one $2 packet of seeds may last for a long time. Also I do save a lot of my own seeds, especially flowers.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Saving seeds is a great way go save some cash on seeds. A step beyond that is to take your saved seeds and exchange them with other gardeners....sort of a seed swap-meet.

There may even be a seed-exchange event right in your area. To find out, contact some of your local gardening clubs. If you don't have one, maybe you could be the pioneer and organize one :idea:.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

And of course we have a seed exchange section right here at Helpful Gardener! :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”