shaefins

BER on Bell Peps - harvest now?

I'm leaving for a week of vacation very late tonight (YAY!). I noticed yesterday that several of my black bells and my still green but would have turned either yellow, orange or red bells have BER. The fruits are still quite small - I'd say lime to baseball sized overall. I'm considering cutting the affected fruits today and taking them with me.

Think they'd taste OK so small? I realize they won't be as sweet as they would be at maturity, but will they be *bad*? If so, will just pitch them. But being gone for a week, I want to get them off the plants now.

TIA!

crobi13

I'd get rid of them, I have no idea how they would taste but I don't think I could bring myself to try either.
Have a great trip!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Personally I think there is too much "Green" flavor in young peppers, so I wouldn't bother eating them. They may rot from damage associated with the BER or continue to grow (with the BER just drying up). Because BER isn't a disease it doesn't progress into the rest of the fruit the way a fungal infection would, but infection can enter.

The other option is to cut off the fruits and toss them, giving more energy for the plant to grow good fruit.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”