Dixana
Greener Thumb

Beets beets beets!!!

The hubby asked me today why I didn't plant beets :shock: I had no idea he liked them and has never asked for them before....
Anyway, I'm planning on planting them next year but I'm torn on which kind.
I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to three choices. Detroit dark red is supposed to be best all purpose beet. Bulls Blood is the best for use of beet and greens. Crapaudine is supposed to have the best flavor.
Has anyone grown these? Any suggestions on which one is best?
I COULD grow all three, but space is an issue.......until HG fills me in on intercropping a little more anyway.....

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Detroit Dark Red for me. Be aware that the crinkly looking "seed" is really a pod with several seeds in it. Plant them 2 inches apart then plan on thinning some more when they come up. Good Luck!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I've had pretty good luck with Early Wonder Tall Top nice greens and root.

Why are we waiting until next year. :?: Why not now or this fall :?:

Eric

applestar
Mod

You HAVE to grow golden beets too. I bought them at the farmers market and oh wow were they yum! I'm trying, but I'm having trouble growing them. You have to understand I don't grow them in designated rows. Beets are supposed to be good intercropped with kohlrabi BTW and also lettuce. for some reason, there is some questionability in intercropping with other brassicas like broccoli. Anyway very spotty germination. I've got Bulls Blood here and there, they're easy to spot, but the other ones.... Chioogia and Golden???

Swiss Chard grows but were decimated by something that looked like sawfly larva (like rose slugs). It's possible the slower growing beets got eaten up.

I can't seem to grow spinach or beets.... :? maybe it's pH issue -- need more lime since with all the clay, my soil tends on the acidic....

I'm going to be planting more a little bit later for fall like DD said.

rkunsaw

We like Detroit Dark Red.Tried Chiogga once, but didn't like it.Haven't tried others.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I like Lutz beets.

[img]https://www.seasonalchef.com/021106d1.jpg[/img]

hit or miss
Green Thumb

That is not a beet! :shock: I think it fell from outer space and landed in your garden.......

What does one do with a beet that large?

Dixana
Greener Thumb

It's not too late for beets? I have no idea how long theu take..... Hmmmmm Everything is already quite close BUT :idea: I could stuff then between peppers and along one edge or something.... :D

imafan26
Mod

If your daytime temps do not exceed 75 degrees you still have time to plant beets. They are a cool crop and don't like heat.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Dixana wrote:It's not too late for beets? I have no idea how long theu take..... Hmmmmm Everything is already quite close BUT :idea: I could stuff then between peppers and along one edge or something.... :D
I'm in Zone 6b/7a and I'll be planting Boro and Boldor (a golden variety) beets after I pull the garlic and onions from this year's "allium beds," which should be in the next 45-60 days or so. The plan is to have them come up in August, then grow through September and October, then harvest around the first frost. In Zone 4, I think that planting anytime in the next couple wmonths will reward you with excellent fall beets.

It'll be my first time trying it this way, but I'm pretty confident in what'll transpire!

Meatburner

Dixana, our favorite is the Detroit dark red. We pickle, roast, and boil and it works well for us. I would also think you can plant them still this year. I am harvesting now and will plant more for a fall crop.

If I am remembering correctly, about 75-90 days from seed. Someone may recall better but not positive.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”