Cerbiesmom

I lost all but one of the first yellow squash I planted. So I planted more later, along with some pumpkin, and now they're on those too. I pulled them out and put the little grubby guys in the bird feeder(and laughed when the birds came). I hope they can recover. fingers crossed. My squash from the first planting has it's first squash onit. So I'll get something, at least.

dustinpiccolo
Newly Registered

Does this boring larvae leave an orange like debris around the stem? Should I be concerned about my heirloom tomatoes planted near them? Help!

FieldofFlowers
Cool Member

dustinpiccolo wrote:Does this boring larvae leave an orange like debris around the stem? Should I be concerned about my heirloom tomatoes planted near them? Help!
Yes, to the first question. You will find a hole inside. If you break it open, you'll find the white little grub inside. Or if you don't, it may have crawled out and decided to chew another area in the stem. They are not above moving to new locations and causing damage.

About the tomatoes, I think they should be fine. Though I've seen them not beyond laying eggs around other plants near the squash. My cucumbers are being attacked, and sadly have no time to stop them. :evil:
Last edited by FieldofFlowers on Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I built elaborate hoop covers for my squash this year to protect them from SVB's. I guess the word was spread around in the SVB community because I haven't seen even one SVB this year. Since it is getting late in the season and everyone I know has a full belly of my squash, I lifted the netting so the bees could take care of the pollinating a couple of weeks ago.. Still no SVB's. I've seen a few spotted cucumber beetles, but no striped cucumber beetles. I'm pretty sure some striped beetles have been around because I have lost a few cucumber vines to bacterial wilt which is normally spread by the striped beetle. I am about ready to put up a welcome sign for the SVB's so I will have an excuse to pull the plants and add them to the compost. I'm ready to prepare the beds to grow something else. I've seen a lot of Japanese beetle grubs as I dig in my garden, but I haven't seen any real harm or damage from them. We had a few days of rain which collected in some empty pots. I noticed a lot of drowned Japanese beetles in the pots today. I've had a lot of beneficial insects in my garden this year so I guess they have been pretty good at keeping the pests controlled. I haven't seen a single aphid this year either. Last year at this time, I had aphids everywhere. I've had zero mosaic virus and zero powdery mildew this year. I did treat my squash and cucumbers with the milk solution a few times so I will assume the milk treatment prevented the mildew which I normally have every year.

I've also had a large population of frogs and toads living in my beds this year under the thick vegetation. I know they are eating a lot of bugs because some of them are getting really large. About three years ago, I started moving the frogs and toads I would see on our property to my garden. They seem to like it because they have really multiplied.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

FieldofFlowers wrote:
dustinpiccolo wrote:Does this boring larvae leave an orange like debris around the stem? Should I be concerned about my heirloom tomatoes planted near them? Help!
Yes, to the first question. You will find a hole inside. If you break it open, you'll find the white little grub inside. Or if you don't, it may have crawled out and decided to chew another area in the stem. They are not above moving to new locations and causing damage.

About the tomatoes, I think they should be fine. Though I've seen them not beyond laying eggs around other plants near the squash. My cucumbers are being attacked, and sadly have no time to stop them. :evil:
I, too, have been fortunate this year and not had any SVB. For me, it's usually the blight that puts an end to the squash harvest.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”