Vicky

Irrigation while not around

I was trying to think of some ideas for what I can do to keep my garden watered while I am away for a week this summer. I have a soaker hose which runs up and down the length of the garden four times. I usually attach the hose and let it run for 1 - 1 and a half hours. I was thinking of a timer. How often should i set it to go off? What if it also rains that day?

Other thoughts?

Thanks!
Vicky

JoshT
Newly Registered

I have a manual timer on my garden. When we leave town we ask either a neighbor or one of my relatives that live only a couple miles away to stop by and turn it on for ~30 minutes on the days it doesn't rain.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you do decide to get a timer, just set it to do what you do when you are home.

My garden gets watered deeply once a week. Our humidity is low here, around 40% most days. I tend to agree with Marlingardener. If you are still in that heat wave you may do well to give it some water a little more often.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, just set it to do what you've been doing. If it's worked this long, it will work one more week :wink:.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”