Halfway
Green Thumb

Serranos are poppin'!!!

Wooohoooo. And these little fellers got my sweat glands poppin' too!!! They are still green and are not yet corking, but I have to say they are very tasty and are packing some decent heat.

I have about 7 plants and intend on pickling and using many of the fruits for salsa.

Does anyone know if my early picking and eating will hurt my late summer plans or will thse plants keep on chugging until they turn red?

Thanks, I better find some milk!

jmoore

My jalapeno's are popping too. I've picked 6-8 the last week or so and there are at least that many right behind them. And there are more behind those. I don't know what I did this year different than last, but I'm not complaining. Last year I got exactly two small peppers.

I had to learn how to make pickled jalapeno's to use them all up. The family doesn't like the hot one's too much.

You need to post your salsa recipe, please.

susanaproenca

We have lots of jalapenos on our plant too! I used one yesterday to make cucumber and mango salsa, but it was still very young and not too hot.

I can't wait for our Poblano pepper's to grow! The plant has flowers but no fruits yet. I'll make some Chilles Rellenos when they're ready! Yum! :D

Halfway
Green Thumb

[url=https://img13.imageshack.us/I/36096152890874677913565.jpg/][img]https://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8194/36096152890874677913565.jpg[/img][/url]

Uploaded with [url=https://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/url]

I'm gonna be hurtin' tomorrow, LOL!!!

I'll share the recipe when I dig it out.

I'm also looking at pickling recipes as well.

csvd87

Right on!

My Anaheims are comin in great, and my Sweet Cayennes as well, ton of buds on my Jalapeno but no peppers, and my bells are way behind.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Yeah, my bells are behind as are my habs. Anaheims are finally getting a spurt.

This rain HAS to stop someday!!!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've heard that if you leave the peppers on the plant to fully mature, the plant will produce less. If you keep picking them, on the other hand, they will continue to produce.

Also, they say to pick the buds off when you plant the pepper. I did a little experiment this year and left the buds on a few. It turns out that, although these plants did produce the first peppers, it was only one to a plant and now the plants are smaller then the others and barely starting their second peppers while the delayed ones have 2 to 4 on each one and will probably go to 5 or 6 after I pick the current ones. It looks like is is a good idea with peppers to give the root systems a head start.

Halfway
Green Thumb

Thanks for the info G5.

I have 2 pepper plants with absolutely zero fruits or buds. They had early buds under the lights and I did not mess with them.

They are my smallest plants as well and are the same species, same soil, same lighting as others that are doing well. Interesting indeed.

Zapatay

I love it!
My poblanos, jalapenos, hot and sweet banana’s and red hot peppers (lost the tag) are all on fire.

Did anyone answer if early picking impacts the later harvests?

We are dipping into our 4th batch of salsa. I also make homemade corn tortillas. So while I'm at the grill cooking dinner, I throw a few tortillas on, crisp them and eat with my salsa. YUM!

At a restaurant I ate a mango, cucumber, jalapeño salsa and It was a great combination of sweet and spicy. Does anyone have a recipe?

applestar
Mod

At a restaurant I ate a mango, cucumber, jalapeño salsa and It was a great combination of sweet and spicy. Does anyone have a recipe?
No, don't have a recipe, but sounds yum! I wonder if you could sub peaches. Season's coming up -- my tree isn't producing yet but they'll show up at the farmers market when my cukes and jalapenos will be in full swing....

Zapatay

Peaches actually sound yummier in the salad.

I'll need to google to see if I can find something similiar.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Early picking is actually better for later fruit-set than later picking. When you leave the peppers on to mature fully, the plant tends to stop yielding.

Halfway
Green Thumb

garden5 wrote:Early picking is actually better for later fruit-set than later picking. When you leave the peppers on to mature fully, the plant tends to stop yielding.
Great!!

I am munching right along and popping several in some hot pepper jars that still have the pickling juice.

These things are producing like crazy!!!!

I sure wish the Habs would pick up a little speed! :twisted:

csvd87

Halfway wrote:
garden5 wrote:Early picking is actually better for later fruit-set than later picking. When you leave the peppers on to mature fully, the plant tends to stop yielding.
Great!!

I am munching right along and popping several in some hot pepper jars that still have the pickling juice.

Aren't Habs closer to a 100-120 days to maturity?

I'm currently trying to get some Peruvian White habs to go(will grow indoors) had 6 of 6 germinate, but 2 have died... and 2 aren't looking so great.

Halfway
Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:
Halfway wrote:
Great!!

Aren't Habs closer to a 100-120 days to maturity?

I'm currently trying to get some Peruvian White habs to go(will grow indoors) had 6 of 6 germinate, but 2 have died... and 2 aren't looking so great.
I believe so. But these were germinated on 15 Feb. I'm just impatient. :shock:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'll probably be putting some of my hot peppers indoors come fall to continue their growth...just can't stand to see them frost-killed.

csvd87

Same here, I am currently building a shelf that will accommodate a few plants so I can grow them into the winter, before they will be shoved outta the way so I can use the shelf to start seeds (will still try and keep them alive into the spring)

Halfway
Green Thumb

Great idea (bringing them inside). How long will they continue to produce?

Is it dependent on the light cycle?

csvd87

Not sure, provided the heat and light is right they should continue all year. This is my first year gardening so I am still learning, but I have seen hot peppers grown indoors over winter. I would sure love to be able to have chocolate bell peppers all year, so tasty.

Halfway
Green Thumb

I have lettuce under the lights in the basement as it stay pretty cool. Since they don't "flower", my lights are fine. So far so good.

I like the idea of setting up a shelf for a couple peppers in a warmer room.

I have 6500k lights I used for starts this year. I wonder if that would keep them going (on timers of course), or if I need to supplement some red wave lights?

Any "flowering" experts?

applestar
Mod

This past winter, I kept a Jalapeno and two bell peppers in the SE kitchen window with two 100W equiv. CFL in clamp-on Utility lights directed from the sides plus an overhead incandescent kitchen chandelier. The Jalapeno flowered and fruited non-stop, though the sweet peppers stalled and only produced golf-ball sized fruits. All they needed was a bit of tapping on the flower trusses to release the pollen to self-pollinate.

Being downstairs, the temperature was in the low 60's. They might have done even better upstairs where the temp would have been slightly higher.

Halfway
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:This past winter, I kept a Jalapeno and two bell peppers in the SE kitchen window with two 100W equiv. CFL in clamp-on Utility lights directed from the sides plus an overhead incandescent kitchen chandelier. The Jalapeno flowered and fruited non-stop, though the sweet peppers stalled and only produced golf-ball sized fruits. All they needed was a bit of tapping on the flower trusses to release the pollen to self-pollinate.

Being downstairs, the temperature was in the low 60's. They might have done even better upstairs where the temp would have been slightly higher.
Great info. It has me thinking of the clamp-on CFLs and maybe outfit them with more red wave lights and keep the 6500Ks over head.

Interesting those peppers kept cranking at 60 degrees.

I'm looking forward to this experiement.

On the serranos, finally had one turn half red and the heat was full. Getting some corking on others and hopefully this "dry out" period between monsoons will help as well. :shock:

Love the hot stuff!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”