Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

first corn harvest

We planted about 3/4 as much corn this year in an effort to increase pink eye purple hull and butter bean production. We picked about 65% of our corn today. I skinned 282 ears for cream corn [no cream actually, just the corn milk] and we already have 2 more tubs to freeze than we did last year. We freeze 4 serving cool whip tubs.

Why is my yield so high? Remember I'm a mariner turned gardener about 4 years ago. I have no idea why our corn was so happy this year.

It is much more sweaty gardening than running boats.

Lunacy
Cool Member

^^^^^^^^
But you can't eat salt water! :D

Congratulations on your bounty!

(Get as in Mutiny on the Bounty,) another sea joke...okay it was bad. :oops:

MaryDel

I got my first two ears today, within a week I'll be blanching cutting vac packing and freezing. I just ate a bag of my Aug 09 corn tonight, and it still tasted good, even though it was in a zip loc bag.

What kind of corn did you grow?

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Mary Del, I hate to say what I grow here but I grow silver queen. Everybody loves it who eats it. It's very sweet. One of the Michigan farmers here told me last year that silver queen was only fit for feeding hogs and chickens.

In my live aboard days in Charleston, we used to call people who couldn't handle their boats farmers. This guy from Michigan basically called me a sailor. :shock:

I have a fragile ego and no sense of humor so I didn't post for six months.

So, silver queen but keep it between you and me. Don't post it all over the internet or anything.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Charlie MV wrote:So, silver queen but keep it between you and me. Don't post it all over the internet or anything.
Don't worry no one will know except for the sever thousand people a day who surf the forum :lol:.

applestar
Mod

Pssst! Charlie the Sailor is growing Silver Queen! Pass it on! :>

MaryDel

Charlie,

I can't really think of anything bad to say about silver queen, except that it's not "Argent".
:lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Must be a Michigan thing. I did get a laugh telling all my wife's relatives this past Thanksgiving that one of the guys from my gardening web sight compared them to hogs and chickens.

These people are all South Carolina Gamecocks so it kind of fit. I had to do the dishes that night.

BU54
Cool Member

We need pics of the harvest!!! or it didn't happen.lol

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Congrats on your bounty. Some years it's great, and other years not so great. Many times there are no logical explanations for why. Love corn off the stalk right into the steamer. So sweet!!!! :D

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Charlie, just between you and me, (that's the old Mike Wallace line) :), I remember years ago in the old Organic Gardening magazine that Silver Queen was voted the best sweet corn of all time. Despite that, I have never yet tried it, next year I vow that I will. I hope to have more room to garden next year. Saw some seed packets of it the other day in the store.

Of course, that poll was taken before all the modern se and sh2 (is that what they're called?) corns were developed, but it must be good to have won the election even back then. This year am growing Bodacious; it's my favorite that I've grown.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

hmmm, just realized this thread is 5 yrs. old, did anyone else notice that?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”