CrazyLin
Newly Registered

SEED PACKET INSTRUCTIONS (IN SPAIN)

Good afternoon from Cocentaina (Spain) I am new to this site so please be gentle with me. :? I am growing various varieties of tomatoes but none of the packets advise whether they are bush or cordon types. There are English and Spanish details on the back of the packet like when to sow, transplant and harvest but not height! I have tried googling (is that how you spell it) but to no avail. :( Some of the plants have got HUGE tomatoes on them so I must be doing something right. My husband and I moved here last September so this is my first year at veggie gardening in Spain. I am looking forwards to scouting around this site. keep happy - I am :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Welcome the the Helpful Gardener :D.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by your question. Are you wondering which plants will grow large and which will stay more compact (I think you are)?

Read the packet and looks for the word "determinate" or "indeterminate." If the plant is the determinate type, it will stay smaller, and usually produce all of its fruit at once and then stop producing.

If it's indeterminate, it will keep growing and setting fruit until the frost or disease kills it.

I hope this helps :).

CrazyLin
Newly Registered

Many thanks for your response. Just one more question - sorry - :roll: The indeterminate - are these the ones that I have to pinch out the side shoots? :oops: My veggies are suffering a bit in this Spanish heat. Temperatures up to 49 degrees C the other day. I have to be careful with the water. I will have to re-think what I grow next year I think... :?

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi, :)

Welcome to our forum. Just wanted to let you know that a distinguishing feature of this forum is the politeness and civility of our forum members, in addition to the sense of community and helpfulness. I know other forums can be harsh but we try to cultivate a more civil community.

Thanks for joining up. Btw, my wife and I love Spain. We often talk about moving there.

All the best,
;)

Roger
Admin
HelpfulGardener.com

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Hi CrazyLin,

Cordon/indeterminants do not have to have side shoots (suckers) removed. You can if needed for your support system (e.g. staking). You shouldn't do that for determinants because it will decrease production, which is locked into 1-2 trusses per branch.

If you list the varieties we might be able to help you with the heights.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Hi CrazyLin,

Cordon/indeterminants do not have to have side shoots (suckers) removed. You can if needed for your support system (e.g. staking). You shouldn't do that for determinants because it will decrease production, which is locked into 1-2 trusses per branch.

If you list the varieties we might be able to help you with the heights.
TZ's right, the more suckers you have, the bushier your plant will be. However, the harder it will be to manage it as well. Depending on you support method (stakes, cages, etc.), you may want to prune a few suckers, or leave them all.

As far as the height goes, as a general rule, I've found that cherry varieties tend to grow taller than the larger, roma and beefsteak varieties.

Never feel funny asking questions.....those are what stimulate the discussions that put out tons of knowledge and make this forum better and better. Keep 'em coming :wink:.

CrazyLin
Newly Registered

Wow! what a response from you guys/esses! :shock: The varieties that I grow are as follows - Corona, Muchameil, Robin, Minibel (yes these are small, their name is a dead give-away even to me being a blonde (well sort of!) 8) and Colgar. I have stakes inserted beside each plant. Home-made compost has been given to each plant at planting time and again later around each plant to keep moisture in the soil. I enjoy my veggies - husband reckons my veggies and me talk the same language! Don't know what he means... :shock:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Not easy to find info but I think I got it

Hopefully your French is better than mine

Colgar Croissance semi déterminée. Hauteur : 120-150 cm. Feuillage normal. Origine : Espagne (Catalogne).

Red Robin? Plant de 30 à 40 cm de haut, idéal à cultiver en pot.

Muchameile--indeterminant 6-8 ft

minibele 1-2 ft

Corona PS Hybrid Determinant 4 ft plants

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”