greg1186
Cool Member

harvesting potatoes

i planted a row of yukon gold, and a row of kennebec both on may 7th. im leaving for camping in canada on july 31. i would really love to bring a large amount of potatoes up with me... do you think it is safe to say that my potato plants are almost done growing? if i cut the stalks in two weeks and let them sit in the ground for a week to get a skin do you think i will have a bountiful harvest? i have been checking to make sure the potatoes are growing and they are... please help! i need advice

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Greg,

Any size to the potatoes :?: If you are happy with the size now, in two weeks they will be a little larger. Then go for it.

How long is the camping trip :?: I would harvest what you need and leave the rest in the ground. If it's only for a couple weeks, you don't need the tough skins. This is only for storage.

Eric

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The longer you leave them, the bigger they get. So, take a look at them now, if your happy with the size, go for it, if not, let them be. You can also do as DDF said and just do a partial harvest.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”