gundogblue
Cool Member

Watering

Hi All,
I live in northeast Il and not too long ago we were all complaining about too much rain. Well we have'nt had any rain here since last Sunday, five days ago, so now I'm woundering if I should water my garden, or am I jumping the gun? They're calling for rain this Sunday evening, but you know how that goes. So what do you all think, should I get the hose out and start watering, or will it be ok to wait a few days?
Thanks,
Paul :? :?

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Stick your hands in the soil around the plants and see how dry it is. That's the only way to really tell.

BrianSkilton
Green Thumb

The only rain we get is the rain with severe thunderstorms rolling through. We've had 4 super bad ones. I just wish an occasional shower would come through but no, instead we get blasted with 80+mph storms...ugh. I have to water 2 times a day because of the heat, another heat scorcher up in South Dakota. I'll take upper 70's or middle 80's any day compared to this junk....

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've watered as soon as 2-3 days after a storm. All that matters is how your soil is. I've even watered on mornings and had it rain in late afternoon. If you soil needs it, go ahead and give it some; if there's going to be a downpour, just give it a little water.

soil
Greener Thumb

we haven't had rain for a month at least, and wont be getting any until October most likely. you should feel lucky.

applestar
Mod

If you have seedlings that recently came up those will need more frequent watering as they can't take the upper layers of soil drying out. Onions, strawberries, hmm what else? Blueberries are shallow rooted and will need more frequent watering. Tomatoes are better off with even moisture than cycles of wet and dry, but corn and beans can take and benefit from drying cycles so only should need good soaking rain/water once a week. Melons and cukes will wilt their leaves if they're not getting enough water...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”