Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What type Squash is this?

This squash started out growing yellow and green stripes. I kept watching it thinking maybe it would turn all yellow or all green. When it was 6" long I figured it was not ready to harvest. As it got larger the color has not changed much it is still yellow and green. Today I decided it was time to pick it. I almost need a skill saw to cut it. Wow this thing is hard. I planted yellow crook neck squash that are doing fine. I planted zucchini and straight yellow squash from new packs of seeds. Zucchini did not come up the 14" rain flooded them out. I assume the squash in the pic is the straight neck yellow but maybe the wrong seeds were in the package. Not sure whats up with this squash I never grew one like this. The squash measures 11" long 3" diameter.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h292/mikeweaver/Squash.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It has the right shape for a straightneck summer squash. They are usually yellow though. Pick them when they are 4 inches long and tender. I suspect that the seed got corrupted somehow and you have a weird hybrid. That happens now and then with squash. One year I had a zucchini that put out yellow zukes instead of green ones. I had a friend show me a striped zucchini one time, which was also supposed to be a green one. Any way, usually they will be good to eat if picked young and tender.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'm going with straight neck yellow, as well. Harvest them smaller and they won't be so hard.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”