Avonnow
Green Thumb

Potatoes in containers or straw - looking for insight!

:?: I am trying potatoes in straw this year, I read all I could and started them out about alittle over a month ago. My questions - anything you can tell me to watch for or look out for. I put a small amount of soil in bottom of big round container, planted the chuncks of seed potato (got from online company) then added straw. They have grown quite well and I continue to add straw, what do I do when I get to the top of the container - I know it sound stupid - but I just thought others who have done this may give me some helpful hints. What should I look for - Thanks in advance. :D

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Most common commercial potatoes are determinant and put out all of their tubers over a short period of time just above the seed tuber so you only need 8-12 inches of stuff over top of the soil to hide the developing tubers from the sun. I'm a little concerned that you only used a little bit of soil in the bottom because the plants need someplace for the roots to get moisture and nutrients, so you will have to keep on top of that. For good tuber growth you need strong plants and even moisture while they are growing, which is from the time flowering starts until the plants start to look cruddy and die back.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Everything I read said you need about 6-8 inches of soil, so that is what I have in the bottom of the barrel, some even talked about just doing it in hay or straw all alone. So I hope that is enough. When I do reach the top of the container, I take it they continue to grow and get flowers and then you wait for the flowers to die. I also thought it weird that after they started sprouting that most of the plants looked the same, but I also got growth from down there that looks totally different then the rest. Not sure if I got two types of potatoes or a potatoe and a weed. It didn't look like weeds that I have ever seen. I tried to trace it back to the beginning but had no luck figuring out where it came, so they are all growing together for now. Thanks ! :)

applestar
Mod

For possible reference, here are some photos from my Potato Silo experiment:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=139241#139241

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thanks applestar for those great photos, I enjoyed all of them. I love looking at what others are doing, it makes me feel good about the time I spend in my garden. It looks like you have a nice variety. The potato pics are exactly what I wanted to see, I wanted to know others had actually did this. Thanks. Not sure where you live, but I am in Florida, this first year has been a HUGE :shock: learning experience, I appreciate any insight others give. :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”