gympup10
Newly Registered

Cukes

How do you know when to pick them? This is the first year I have grown anything other then tomatoes so I'm lost... :oops: :oops:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

well, it depends on the variety. I have ashley's and straight 8's the ashley's I pick at 4-5 inches. The strait 8's I pick them while they are still kinda skinny. I don't like big tough seeds in my cukes so, I pick them all kinda small. Smaller cukes also make crispier pickles! :D

gympup10
Newly Registered

so basically pick them the way I like them at the grocery store??? :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The thing about cukes is if you pick them after the seed is fully formed they are bitter. So picking young and smaller is better for taste. You will see huge cukes in the grocery store but that is what buyers want to see, they think what a deal look how big this thing is.

But in reality vegetables of this variety including zucchini are better younger and before full seed formation.

There may be a learning curve since you are more than likely to seeing monsters at the store. So definitely pick some at different stages and see what "YOU" like best. There where always be that one that you can't see through all the foliage that ends up like a baseball bat. Give those to your neighbors. :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well said, Gix. Just try at different sizes and see what you like best. It will probably only take two or three cuckes to find out.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”