Sweet Potato help

A forum for asking vegetable garden questions. Get started on a healthy garden, especially when you garden organically. Discuss the care and propagation of a vegetable garden, share your knowledge with others about growing veggies, or find out what you need to know to grow great veggies.
Monica6397
Newly Registered

Sweet Potato help

Post by Monica6397 »

I'm a new gardener and have planted a row of sweet potatoes. They are vining out and overtaking some of my other vegetables. Can I cut back the vines and not hurt my end product?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Post by gixxerific »

You would be better off to trellis the vines. trimming them will take away the leaves they use in photosynthesis.

Sweet potatoes can sprawl pretty far, they need their space. I would suggest the trellis. Anything can be used. I used those square tomato cages you can get at Home depot etc last year for such things. They fold out in a straight line and work pretty well. Or you could make one with stakes and twine/string. If they back up on a fence that will work as well.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Post by garden5 »

You can also buy a 4x8 trellis panel made of wood slats for about $10 from as hardware store as well.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!