Murle Atherton
Newly Registered

Cucumber pest?

I live in Houston, TX. I have large healthy cucumber plants that set cucumbers. They grow to about 1-2 inches long and something then eats them. There is no evidence other than the stem which looks like someone took a knife and cut the cucumber off.

GardenJester

sound like you got a rabbit and/or deer problem.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Agh, that would be so irritating! I hope you find what is doing it, can you fence the area maybe?

Hopefully no one is coming by and cutting them off! (only mentioned because you said it looked like someone cut them.) You may have a cucumber thief! :shock:

Good luck and I hope you get to eat some of them!!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I think it's Bob next door. :shock:

Rabbit, deer, skunk, squirrel, rodent. Some critter.

applestar
Mod

May be you could try bagging them -- I wonder what works best... Would brown paper lunch bag work? white is supposed to be better because it let's in light. (If it's a human culprit, they'll wonder that you're going to the extra trouble... But let's stay in positive frame of mind... :wink:)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:lol: :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have a friend who wondered why the fruit kept disappearing from her cucumber vines. She caught her dog picking and eating them, one right after the other! :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

kisal,

Off topic, who is the avatar buddy. I have two black monsters. Jacob and Peppercorn.

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

That's Angus! He's a goofy guy that I fell in love with at the Humane Society. He was abused as a pup, so he has some problems. When I first got him, he would flop over on his back and cry if anyone reached toward his collar. And he is absolutely terrified of being confined in small spaces, such as crates. He thinks he's a "hooman", and was never socialized with other dogs, so he's a bit aggressive toward them. He has a cohort-in-crime named Daisy, who's half his size, but rules him with an iron paw. :lol:

[img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh27/Kisal_photos/Daisy_100_0078.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:lol: Cute!

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/DSC01180.jpg[/img]

Peppercorn on top, Jacob below.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

What an adorable pair! :D

wolfie

gorgeous pups, does the white one have pitbull in her?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Looks like Dalmatian to me. :)

wolfie

the ears look a bit dalmation but her face and body look pit to me

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Living in North Texas, we have experienced a very dry spring. For some reason, that usually results in a large population of grasshoppers. They started pretty small in my area about a month ago. Now they have grown to about 2" long. I've watched them eat the fresh growing tip from plants and I have watched them eat baby cucumbers with the blossom still attached. They eat it all the way back to the stem. That may be your problem. In my garden, they typically fly up from the ground when I enter the garden. Are you seeing grasshoppers in your garden?

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

She's Dalmatian and Queensland Blue heeler. Weighs 35 lbs. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”